Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 4, 2005, 10:16 PM   #1

I am new to the digital camera scene and i was wondering if most people capture at the maximum resolution and quality and resize later or do most people choose the resolution (and change it in the camera menu) based on what they plan to do with the picture.

Thanks
hammmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2005, 12:14 AM   #2

I do the later. It's simple to change the resolution. If I'm taking photos for an auction or quick pics for email, I set it on .33Mp (640x480). For run of the mill pics, I use 1Mp. On landscapes, autos (my business) or pics I pretty sure will be printed, I use higher resolutions. I've yet to use the RAW setting though.

Much depends on the use of your pictures. No cense using up storage space if the pictures will only be used/seen on the computer.
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 7:27 AM   #3

I always use full res and minimum compression.
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 4:22 PM   #4

I always use highest res and lowest compression. You can always resize down and lose some detail, you can't resize up and recover information you never recorded.

Apart from shots for online sales you never know how you may want to use a picture in the future. When you get that shot of a lifetime and you want to blow it up and hang it on the wall do you want to be regretting that you didn't use the maximum capability of your camera?
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 1:16 PM   #5

hammmmm wrote:
Quote:
I am new to the digital camera scene and i was wondering if most people capture at the maximum resolution and quality and resize later or do most people choose the resolution (and change it in the camera menu) based on what they plan to do with the picture.
Unless there's some other pressing reason (on a trip to the jungle and have to capture as many shots as possible on limited number of memory cards), I always shoot at the highest resolution and cut later. As someone else said, you can always crop a poor picture at high resolution, but if you accidentally take a perfect picture at a low setting, you can't up the resolution after the fact.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote