Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 6, 2005, 4:42 AM   #1

Good morning.

Well, not so good. I am actually tearing my hair out!!! :angry:

I have a pic I want to use in Outlook Express as background, (Format>background>picture.) Anyway, I just cannot get it to fit. I've tried altering the dimensions to be more email-shape friendly, but it keeps coming up in segments. Different segments, depending on the sizes I make it.

Help in getting this into an email as a single pic would be greatly appreciated! I attached the pic - regarding cropping or whatever....

Thanks. Canna.

Attached Images

Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2005, 5:12 AM   #2

Keep banging your head Canna :angry:.

I tried with one of my own images, I can't open yours, it's a PHP file.

Just get the same as you. It's either way too big or so small you get several portions of them. Can't seem to find any where in Outlook to enable you to edit the size. I think you are just going to have to keep resizing until you end up with one that's satisfactory. Sorry.

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 6:31 AM   #3

Hi Stevekin,

thanks very much for trying

should be a jpeg now...

hopefully someone knows trick :roll:

Canna
Old Apr 6, 2005, 7:25 AM   #4

Sorry Canna, still a PHP file.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 8:56 AM   #5

Right-click on the picture and select Save Picture As. The name of the picture includes .php, but you should be able to Save As Type .jpeg.
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 9:32 AM   #6

Hi,

Have nowposted the picseveral times, but though it looks like a jpeg in my system, when I try and download it later from Steve's Forum, it also comes out as a PHP file for me too. :?

Anyway, with XP, after downloading I can just change the name ending to 'jpeg' (or 'jpg' as my system calls it), and it changes without any probs. After than it can be treated like a jpeg. (I think this is what you were saying Tom....)

Canna.

PS. Still dead keen to find out how to use it as background in an email - surely ifwe can make desktop wallpaper with images, email backgrounds must be feasible too!
Old Apr 6, 2005, 11:33 AM   #7

Canna W wrote:
Quote:
PS. Still dead keen to find out how to use it as background in an email - surely ifwe can make desktop wallpaper with images, email backgrounds must be feasible too!
I'm sure they are, but don't forget that a desktop background is not going to change size when you do something on the desktop. The email size will be dependant on the content. But the background image won't change with it. If you look at the background templates built in, they are much bigger than the screen anyway to allow for any expansion. I think i've explained that right :?.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 1:20 PM   #8

I right-clicked and selected Save Picture As, the default name was attachment.php and the file type option was JPEG, so I gave the picture the name "Canna's Picture" and saved it. When I looked at the saved file's name, it wasn't "Canna's Picture.jpg" but "Canna's Picture" with no extension, so I "renamed" it (added .jpg to the end) and now it acts like a .jpg. (I suppose I could have just named it "Canna's Picture.jpg" in the first place instead of "attachment.php.")
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 2:10 PM   #9

Hi,

Phew - finally I sort of did it!

I got an original pic (not this one) and used the 'save for the web' option in PS Elements 2.

I set the width for 1200 pixels and the height was1920 pixels. To get a file size of under 100 k I set the quality to 48.

It filled the Outlook Express screen from side to side, and I had to press several returns to get down to the bottom of the pic. Then it started to repeat itself again.

It would be a nice thing to do as a special greetings email, and you'd have to be careful what image you used. To be honest the one above was ideal. The other image I tried was blue sky with vibrant clouds, which was very distracting, and I had to blow up the typeface to 24 (& usetype that wasred & bold), in order for it to be seen over both the sky and the clouds... It was very messy.

The pic above though looked good with black writing, which showed up well against the sky, though obviously you'd have to tailor the writing to fit the pic. (With this pic, in order to get the bottom on just right, a dummy run would be good, just to check how often you have to press return to get from the top to the bottom of the pic, without going into a repeat.)

I could see it working well withany image with a large block area of colour to write on, or animage lightened a lot, as a gentle background, maybe with a nice pattern...

Anyway, thanks for your input.

Nice to stop the head banging...

Canna:-D

Old May 2, 2005, 11:05 PM   #10

Being an IT guy and constantly telling all of my users not to do this, I will tell you why.

1. It slows down email (especially dial-up) and takes up more HD space either on the local computer or email server. The remote user now has to download your background picture to their computer for it to show.

2. What looks good on your computer, may not look good on another computer. For example - If you have your resolution cranked up to 1280x1024 or bigger, and the remote user is at 1024x768, things won't look too good on their end.

Just my two cents -

--------
Ryan
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote