Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 9, 2002, 11:13 PM   #1

Default Printers and Digital Cameras for Printing

Can I ask advice on printing? I usually scan but need to buy a digital camera now. I will have to print brochures and invoices and want to print some of the images from the camera. From what I've read the Canon A40 is a good camera, is the resolution okay for printing? and since I need to get another printer anyway, which is a good printer for color photos? Epson-I had one but it doesn't work with my operating system anymore, they are okay. I have had Lexmark and HP printers but I don't have any opinions, because I've never printed digi pix before.

What is the best strategy for photos and printing?
Thank you, I've been looking so long for a forum like this.

Nat.
natt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2002, 2:37 AM   #2

Hi Natt,

When you say you need to print photos on brochures it makes a difference if you are talking about out of the ink-jet color real-estate type flyers or professionally printed glossy collateral.

If it's more like the former I think the A40 (2 megapixels I believe?) would rate as acceptable. If it's more like the latter you really should consider spending significantly more to get a professional result.

On printers: I use all of the major brands (HP, Canon, Epson) for testing purposes and frankly all of the new models can produce beautiful prints.

One reason to go with Canon is that the cost of ink is low compared to some of the others because the colors are replaced one at a time. Most people find that cost of materials is an important factor when you start printing a lot of photos.
lwhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2002, 8:56 AM   #3

Thank you, will any Canon color printer be okay? Yes I am printing brochures, I would like color prints for myself sometime for personal use. Can you tell the difference between color photos printed from a digi camera and a conventional camera?

Nat.
Old Dec 10, 2002, 11:07 AM   #4

I have a Canon A40. This weekend, I had some 4x6 pics printed on a Fuji dye-sublimation printer. I think they looked great. When I get back to Dallas, I'll get some prints made on a Fuji Frontier Digital Mini-lab system at Wal-Mart for 26 cents.

I have a color printer at home. HP-952C. It's over a year old. I'll print on is and see what we get, but I doubt I'll mess around with it, as I can get better results from a lab, probably for the same amount of money.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2002, 11:33 AM   #5

Can I ask, how to get prints made at walmart? How do you transfer the media ?? I'm unclear on that.
Old Dec 10, 2002, 11:39 AM   #6

I know it sounds lazy, but here in the Northeast when there is a lot of snow, I don't feel like driving to walmart which is 45 minutes away, just to print. I guess I prefer to have what I need. I suppose I will have to spend a fair amount of money, but I was looking at the Canon S9000 which retails for $500, I thought this was a good deal but now I wonder if this is enough "printer" for me.

Thank you, Nat.
Old Dec 10, 2002, 12:47 PM   #7

The Canon i850 printer reviewed well, you can read about it here:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_...anon_i850.html

Can you tell the difference between digital and analog camera output? Yes, but it's more that they are different rather than one always being superior to the other. In summary you can easily use digicam photos for professional work and many people do.

The A40 will give nice prints for 4x6 sizes, but it won't be able to compete with most analog 35mm cameras.

And again, if you're printing high quality brochures you want as much camera as you can afford, and it will pay off for you in the long run.
lwhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2002, 1:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by natt
Can I ask, how to get prints made at walmart? How do you transfer the media ?? I'm unclear on that.
Well, if the Wal-Mart has the Fuji Froniter, it will have a kiosk you use. The one I saw had readers for *ALL* memory cards (CF, SM, MS, SD, MMC, and XD) a CD/DVD reader, and a flat bed scanner.

http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epa...roduct=6213032

Load the card or CD in, and you can print everything, or select individual pics. You can zoom, crop, elminare red-eye, etc. Select the size and number of prints, and it sends the pics to the mini-lab.

By this time next year, *all* Wal-Marts with a photo department will have the new machine. Of course, I live in Dallas, so I don't have to deal with snow. And there are lots of Wal-Marts around, including one that is convenient between home and work. Also. manu Costcos and Sams clubs have the same mahine, and may print for even less that 26 cents. Not sure if any of these stores are convenient to you.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2002, 3:47 PM   #9

I'm also lazy!

I've just used an on-line service to a Fuji Frontier 370. Print quality on 6X4.5 Fuji Crystal glossy was excellent. BUT I do have a fast connection and I did carefully choose a UK vendor who had an ftp site so I could upload 32Megs of files - which took 20mins.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2002, 4:55 PM   #10

Thanks for the tip on walmart and costco. I have been researching this for about a year and I know I should buy as much camera and printer as I can afford. Live and learn, I will buy the Canon A40 or a more expensive Canon if I can, and the same for the printer.

Natt.