Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 11, 2002, 11:48 AM   #1

Default Compact digital camera advice needed

The more information I find, the more confused I am about which camera to buy...please help!

I am interested in purchasing my first digital camera - I am a real novice and while I love having the latest and greatest sleek gadgets, I do not need many advanced functions on a camera. I will mainly use the camera for photographs of people (indoor and outdoor) and some scenery - I can't imagine that I would need to print anything larger than a 5x7 picture. The main thing for me is that I want something EXTREMELY light. I live in NYC and often find myself wishing that I had a camera with me, however I don't want the extra weight of carrying around my somewhat heavy point & shoot...the sleekness of the Minolta Dimage Xi appeals to me. I like the size and weight of it and of course I love that it is new, but I am wondering if that is too much for me. Is that way too much to spend on a camera for the purposes that I mentioned? I hear wonderful things about the various Canon cameras, however they do seem to be a bit heavier.

Please tell me what camera I should purchase...I welcome all suggestions...
imr5191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2002, 12:00 PM   #2

You'll be sorry if you buy an ULTRA small camera. Go a small camera like a fuji A303 or something. Small enough.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2002, 12:21 PM   #3

Love NYC and there are alot of things to do there. The Olympus C4000 is small and light but can provide you with ability to use filters and add lens at a later date. You can buy it for about $400 on the web. Check www.dealtime for pricing and vendor ratings. If you do not think you ever venture to additional lens and filters, then look at the Olympus C50. It will fit in the palm of your hand. See Steve's review on each of these cameras. They both made the top of the year list by Steve. The C50 will run about $550 on the web. The C50 also placed in two catagories in Steve's list.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2002, 12:29 PM   #4

How light and small? Have a look at the Fuji range for some very small and light point and shoots.

Always check out the flash range - some are worse than useless. A decent one should be able to cope with 10 feet.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2002, 3:02 PM   #5

The Canon A40 is an excellent camera for $250. It isn't real small but takes excellent photos for a 2 MP camera. It is also easy to learn as a point and shoot but also has a manual mode when you learn more about the camera.
gverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2002, 3:02 PM   #6

The Canon A40 is an excellent camera for $250. It isn't real small but takes excellent photos for a 2 MP camera. It is also easy to learn as a point and shoot but also has a manual mode when you learn more about the camera.
gverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2002, 3:14 PM   #7

Thank you for your input - as far as how small...I want the best pictures from the most lightweight camera available - I have heard great things about the Canon A40, but that is much larger than I would like. I will carry it in my bag every day and want to add as little extra weight to my bag as possible. I don't want to spend a ton of money, but I am less concerned about price than size.
imr5191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2002, 3:35 PM   #8

Again .. the fuji A303 looks very small on www.dpreview.

Any smalle rand the camera has severe limitations IMHO, especially crappy flashes.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2002, 4:11 PM   #9

Check out the Canon S230. A bit pricey but you'd carry it around all day without even knowing it's there. And yes, Canon's reputation is well earned.

My
----------------------
Digital Camera Fact Sheets
http://www.photoxels.com/giftGuide20...tandshoot.html
'A Smile Is Forever'
solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2002, 10:57 PM   #10

Default Too small a digi?

I have recently come to use digi after years of shooting SLRs; so I guess I have habits around a heavier camera. The real compacts just felt too small, I was afraid that it might jump when I hit the release. The A40 was about as small as I felt comfortable with.
Has anyone felt that shooting with a smaller digi interfered with picture taking?
plschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote