Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 12, 2002, 12:51 PM   #1

Default Digital Camera Buying Question

I need help. I'm not sure what to buy. There are so many choices. My wife and I currently own a Cannon Rebel 2000. We take a lot of pictures. We would like to buy a digital camera but are confused about the whole idea and overwhelmed with the amount of information available. Our major concern is the number of megapixels 2,3,4,5 etc. etc. And the dreaded REDEYE....

We use are camera for : Family photos, vacations, outdoor photography.

Any suggestions? I would like to keep the camera under $700.00 We are by no means professional photographers but we truly enjoy taking photos.

We would like to be able to process 4X6, 5X10, and occasional 8X10....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
Tlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2002, 2:23 PM   #2

I will recommend my camera, the Olympus C4040.
It is a 4mp, 3X optical zoom, great optics with great low light capability. You can check our my family photos at
www.pbase.com/gibsonpd3620/inbox

Digital camera's friend the RedEye monster. You can edit out the RedEye with your editing software. The editing of your own photos before printing is a prime reason for switching to digital.

You can check the prices on the C4040 at
www.dealtime.com
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2002, 2:42 PM   #3
lg

Any digicam from 2 megapixels and up will meet your print criteria. As for redeye, the flash that comes on most digital cameras is very close to the lens, which means you're probably going to have to deal with redeye unless you can afford an external flash that will move the light source up and away from the lens. But, I wouldn't worry too much about redeye, because it's very easy to remove redeye from photos with a photo editor such as Compupic.

A $700 budget should allow you to pick just about any camera up to maybe 5 megapixels, so it's really up to you to pick out the qualities that you want.
- If you want a camera that can be used by any of your family, you might not opt to get one too complicated.
- Do you want one similar to the one you were using?
- Is size a constraint? Do you want one that you can slip in your pocket? Or will you be happy to carry around a small camera bag?
- What kind of zoom range do you want? Most come with 3x, and there are options all the way up to 10x.
- I'd recommend one that uses high capacity (1800 maH) NiMh AA batteries, but that's a personal choice. Whatever kind you get, you need at least one extra set of batteries, because most all digicams are power-hungry.
- You'll want to get enough media so that you can take as many pictures as you want without having to download them from your card. I have two 64MB cards, enough to hold 128 pics each for my camera. Usually the card supplied with the camera is just enough to get you started (16 pics in my case).
- What sort of features do you want? Discuss it with your family, and map out a set of criteria for what you want. Then, post them here so we can more accurately give you the pertinent information you require.
- Finally, use the reviews on Steve's Digicams and other unbiased Internet resources to compare the cameras you have narrowed your choice down to. I'd recommend comparing the sample photos for sharpness, color accuracy, and exposure-- or just simply the ones you like the best.

There's plenty of friendly folks out there willing to help, but my advice to you is to provide as much input as possible before jumping to conclusion by the number of responses you get about a particular camera. We all like the digicams we have, and it's very easy to recommend it to anyone who asks. So...that's my unbiased suggestion to you-- Please let us know what you are looking for!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2002, 5:52 PM   #4

Default Start small

gibson's olympus c4040 takes great pictures as his beautiful family photos show! So, this would make a great digicam. Another suggestion is to start small (in size and in price) but from a good manufacturer: Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Fuji, Minolta all make digicams that you would enjoy using for many years to come.

As for meeting your requirements:

- 3+ megapixels for prints up to 8x10 in. (in general)
- compact (so you can take it everywhere)
- red-eye (any photoprocessor can easily remove that for you)

Here's my list of 3+ megapixels compact cameras:

http://www.photoxels.com/cameras_compact.html

and here's my recommendations for this year's best digicams in 4 different categories:

http://www.photoxels.com/cameras_compact.html
solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2002, 12:26 PM   #5

Thanks for the replys.

My wife and I both like the Cannon S40. It has all the features we will ever need. I should have said in my previous message that all we have ever owned is Canon cameras. I plan on getting a 128mb card also.

I plan on being active on the forums, so we talk to you later.
Old Dec 13, 2002, 12:36 PM   #6

Tlove
I believe that is trend among many of us. I have always owned 35mm and digital cameras made by Olmpus. I have tried other friends cameras and still prefer my Olympus. Good luck with your Cannon and I am sure that it will provide you with great pics.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2002, 10:39 PM   #7

Gibson

I'll be getting the S40 on Monday or Tuesday. I'll let you know how it is.
Old Dec 14, 2002, 11:51 PM   #8

Remember that red eye is not a unique problem to digital photography. It's all about geomerty (and bilogy). The closer the flash is to the lens, the worse it can be. This is the same for digital or film. red eye reducing flashes really don't work any better in digital cameras than they do in film cameras.

However, since its digital, its a lot easier and mro convenient to get rid of it after the fact than it is with film. But the best way is not to get any in the first place. Tough to do with a little P&S camera, but if you can get the flash away the lens, then you have options.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2002, 3:19 PM   #9

You've already received some excellent advice here. I will throw the dimage f100 into the mix as another camera which offers an excellent performance/price ratio, and which will cope very well with the types of pictures you say you'll be taking.

Check out http://www.photopix.co.uk

for lots of sample pix and a simple digicam buying guide!
markiemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2002, 3:27 PM   #10

Considered the Fuji 3800 with twice the zoom?? Also the Oly C4040 is a good camera.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote