Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 12, 2002, 2:28 PM   #1

Default Help for 1st Time Buyer

Hi. Looking to purchase my first digital camera for me and my wife. We're both your basic point and shoot photographers, nothing fancy. We have kids so we're mostly taking pictures of the kids, both indoors and outdoors, sporting events and family stuff. I'm debating between the Canon S230 Elph 3.2 Megapixel for $399, the S30 for $449 or the Pentax 3.2 Megapixel ( I forget the model) for $299. The Pentax seems to be by far the best deal. 3.2 MP and 3X optical zoom. However, the salesman seems to love the S30 for overall use and durability. Also, the size of the Elph (we had a non-digital one) is a big selling point.

I would appreciate any advice. Any reason not to save the money and buy the Pentax?

Many Thanks.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2002, 2:34 AM   #2

No, buy the Pentax if you're getting a great deal. These days, there are not many 'bad' digicams, and after your initial experience, for not much money, you'll be able to select the future model that will work for you.
Blessings, Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2002, 9:08 AM   #3
rmu

I have an S30. First of all, $449 is the list price of the S30 - you can find it on the web for at least $399 if not $350 (plus tax and delivery). The S30 is not a typical point and shoot - it can be used that way in Auto mode and produces above average point and shoot results, but it also has much of the functionality of a high end camera, except for the ability to attach external lenses and flashes. The S230 is not quite of the same class as the S30 - it is a notch closer toward the point and shoot category - if you read the review at imagingresource.com you'll conclude it has a smaller form factor than the S30 but not quite as good image rendering and funtionality. Actually probably a better point and shoot for you. Couldn't comment on the Pentax w/o knowing the model.

If you want point and shoot and save some money, I'd go for the Elph S230, or maybe try the Minolta Dimage X if it comes in a 3 MP version (the 4 MP is too pricey) - I would think this would be in your price range too and probably the best form factor out there.

Hope that helps.

Hi. Looking to purchase my first digital camera for me and my wife. We're both your basic point and shoot photographers, nothing fancy. We have kids so we're mostly taking pictures of the kids, both indoors and outdoors, sporting events and family stuff. I'm debating between the Canon S230 Elph 3.2 Megapixel for $399, the S30 for $449 or the Pentax 3.2 Megapixel ( I forget the model) for $299. The Pentax seems to be by far the best deal. 3.2 MP and 3X optical zoom. However, the salesman seems to love the S30 for overall use and durability. Also, the size of the Elph (we had a non-digital one) is a big selling point.
rmu is offline   Reply With Quote