Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 17, 2005, 12:29 PM   #1

I was at a rock concert yesterday afternoon and I took a bunch of pics with my new digital camera, and when I downloaded the pics last night, I noticed that a lot of the pics had strange "broken" lines in the image. The lines are most visible on the bass players strings and on the frames of the speakers around the bassist. I was shooting at a 640 x 480 resolution at ISO 100. Do I need toincrease the resolution, and/or ISO,next time? I did increse the ISO to 200 later during the concert and it seems that the pics did get better, but I`m not sure if the increased ISO helped reduce the broken lines or what. Any input will be helpful for this old ex-35mm shooter.
Attached Images

PTB Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2005, 12:46 PM   #2
Administrator

Shoot at a higher resolution. You need more to represent detail this fine (guitar strings, etc.) at the shooting distance you were at.

Lower resolution makes these problemsmore prominent.

It probably has to do with a combination ofthe lower resolution you used, lack of sophisiticated anti-aliasing algorithms for the way the camera downsizes the images, and perhaps even too much in camera sharpening (this can make problems at high contrast edges stand out). If you had sharpening turned up, turn it back down. Even JPEG Compression can make the problems worse (I always shoot at the highest quality mode whenever possible).

FWIW, the 640x480 mode is totally useless on one of my cameras (because of these types of problems).

You're better off shooting in a higher resolution mode, then downsizing the images later using software if smaller viewing sizes are needed.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 2:24 PM   #3

Thanks JimC,

I will increase the resolution and turn the sharpening back to normal. I do have downsizing software so I can post the pics later. I`m going to another concert next Saturday, so I`ll give the corrected settings a "go" there.
PTB Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 9:20 PM   #4

PTB Stalker wrote:
Quote:
I will increase the resolution and turn the sharpening back to normal. I do have downsizing software so I can post the pics later. I`m going to another concert next Saturday, so I`ll give the corrected settings a "go" there.
The higher resolution settings should help, but be aware that even many top digital cameras have trouble with diagonal lines; in highly technical imaging jargon the phenomenon is called the "jaggies." As Jim noted, it's otherwise known as "aliasing," and results from the saw-tooth shape of square pixels, particularly when in a diagonal line. Most cameras have anti-aliasing software that helps ameliorate the results, but at low resolution it shows up worse. --And as you found out, it also shows up worse when sharpening is turned up, since it defeats the anti-aliasing in favor of sharper contrast between the two sides of the line.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote