Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 19, 2005, 11:35 AM   #1

G'Day,

I have an Olympus E20 (antique for most of you here) and I have just purchased a Raynox DCR-CF 185 PRO lens the idea being to produce 360 vr tours, I have also purchased VRstitcher Fisheye (2 shot fisheye stitching software)............... now my life has reallybecome complicated

http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/dcr/...5pro/index.htm

http://www.360dof.com/products/panor...eye/index.html

has anyone played with this combination?

I am experienceing problems with taking my 2 shots, I cannot seem to find correct position for the lens (nodal point I think) so that I can stitch the 2 images, it seems as though I am not getting 185 degrees as stated in the spec's of the lens...........

any help would be greatly appreciated as I have no hair left and my fingernails are also almost gone.........:?

Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2005, 1:46 PM   #2
Administrator

Well, I'm not familiar with the tools you are using.

However, as a general rule, you want to avoid fisheye type lenses for panoramas (too much distortion). You also want to overlap the images some.

I did look up the software you purchased and see that they recommend this type of fisheye lens, and the software appears to be designed to use one.

Dothe instructions say anything about making sure to overlap the images sufficiently for stitching?

Have you tried their tech support?

Hopefully, someoneusing the tools you purchased will comment.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 4:49 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply JimC,

The software is specificaly designed to stitch 2 circular fisheye images, I have used the sample images included with the software and produced fantastic results, so I know its not the software, it has to be with either the combination of equipment not being compatible or just me not knowing what I am doing.

As per usual I played with the equipment for a few days and THEN decided to read the instructions....... I have followed all the instructions to the letter and still it seems as though the camera is unable to take 185 degree shots.

The stitching software should work with 2 X 180 circular shots, so by having 2 X 185 degree shots I would think that this would be sufficient overlap.

only one fingernail left............... I hope someone has a solution for me.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 6:17 PM   #4
Administrator

By overlap, I mean that you need to replicate one part of the image in the next image.

For example, suppose you're taking a photo of a room, and there is a couch in it on the ride hand side of the image (as you're facing it), and only half of the couch shows up in the first image.

Rather than taking the next image starting at the middle of the couch (since you already had the first half in the first image), you'd want to take the second photo so that some of the left hand side of thethe couch is also part of the second image(even though it's already in the first image).

This helps the software stitch the images together (the software needs this overlap to more accurately determine how to stitch them together).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 9:04 AM   #5

JimC wrote:
Quote:
... However, as a general rule, you want to avoid fisheye type lenses for panoramas (too much distortion). ...
That depends on the software used and the quality of the lens - vigneting being the issue that seems to cause the most problems and even that can be dealt with in software to a fair extent. Some of the best panos I know of have been made with fisheye lenses, e.g., http://www.path.unimelb.edu.au/~bern...toria/virtual/ His "How I did this" link isn't working, but you can find all kinds of info at http://www.panoguide.com/howto/panoramas/.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote