Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 19, 2005, 3:48 PM   #1

Ok - so my wife and I had our first child in September, and my family is quite far away (3 hrs involving travel by car and ferry boat), so we share many pictures with them over the net. The problem is that my mother is pretty new to computers and struggles getting the pictures from email over to her printer.

Is there any free software people would suggest I download for her that would make printing pictures as simple as possible? The easier the better, as I'm seeing them this weekend and won't really have too long to teach her whatever software I bring.

Thanks!
n8littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2005, 5:25 PM   #2

A couple of suggestions... you might consider snail mailing pictures that you print or have done at the local Wal-Mart. It'll save her some money and she won't have to hassle with printing them herself. You can e-mail the photos and have her tell you which ones she wants to stick on the fridge. Better yet, take the baby and the pictures she wants every few weeks... :lol:
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 7:52 PM   #3

Another suggestion might be to send her the pictures by posting them on a site like Ophoto that sells prints. Any prints she wants she can just order, and the prices are reasonable. Probably as cheap as printing them herself, and they are more permanent because they use the photographic rather than inkjet process.

You might want to find out what software she already has. My Canon printer came with a very simple program for printing called Easy-Photo Print that walks you through the paper, orientation etc. It was a lower end Canon so I presume all Canons and most other printers come with similar software.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 1:20 AM   #4
Baz

Question littlefield - what printer and what printing software does your mother have ?

If it is a Canon, and has the EasyPhoto Print software that slipe mentions, it should not be difficult. Maybe other printers & software could be similar.

Basically, I'd suggest you email the pics to her. For good print quality, dont reduce the pixel resolution, or compress file sizes too much.

At her end, she just needs to right click the image or image attachment, then select "save as". A window will open, where she can select some folder on her hard drive to save the pics.

After that, open EasyPhoto Print or similar printing software, just navigate to folder as selected above to find the pics & select to print.

Sounds complicated, but it isn't difficult. Hopefully she could have the Canon EPP software where, as slipe says there are very many options to select pics on the HDD, select print sizes, select paper type, and even crop the pic.

Good luck, let's know if you get it sorted for mother.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 10:00 AM   #5

Well, I had thought of Walmart, the problem is that she is 1.5 hrs away by ferry boat from Walmart. I'm working on setting up an account on Winkflash and sharing w/ her so she order pictures - but I know that she still wants to be able to print some on her own.

Her printer is a Lexmark, I'm not sure the exact model - not a great printer, but she really wants to be able to print a picture from email (or my website) herself. She likes to bring pics to work, but they can get messy (she's a butcher).

I'm thinking about trying the google picassa software for her. Has anyone else tried it?
n8littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 4:07 PM   #6

n8littlefield wrote:
Quote:
Well, I had thought of Walmart, the problem is that she is 1.5 hrs away by ferry boat from Walmart. I'm working on setting up an account on Winkflash and sharing w/ her so she order pictures - but I know that she still wants to be able to print some on her own.

No offense, but when she compared what she'll get from Winkflash with what she (with her skilset and her computer & printer) will get from her Lexmark, she'll be shocked that the two are the same picture. Yes, there's not the instant gratification of seeing the picture come off the printer, but really the hassle of getting GOOD prints it just not worth it IMO
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 9:55 PM   #7

Since I first brought Winkflash to Steve's earlylast year, i still tellpeople to use Winkflash. Their quality is great and you can't beat the price. For just your everyday point-n-shoot pics, they are great. I would not however use them for pro pics. There are other services for that.

Winkflash is super easy, pics are $0.16 each, and shipping is a flat rate of $0.99 no limit. We ordered 125 prints a little while about and shipping was only $0.99. Pics come in hard sided envelopes. They also offer album space for you to share your pics.

Go ahead and PM me and I can send you a link to get your first 36 pics from Winkflash for free.

--------
Ryan
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote