Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 20, 2005, 10:28 AM   #1

Hello all,

Just wanted to say hi for the first time. Just a bit about my photo experience so when I have questions, everyone knows my background.

Most of my life I have wanted to get into amateur photography but never pursued it due to time and financial limitations. I also am not good about taking film to be developed and presently have about 10 rolls of misc. film that I'm not even sure is good anymore sitting on my desk. The invention of Digital Cameras has simplified that for me andI am computer savvy. I have a nice powerfull laptop dedicated just for pictures. My situation is much different now soI decided to get a digital. My wife wanted a "good" digital camera so we shopped around and ended up with a DRebel. It was purely on the advise of a teacher in a store who had explained they were getting wonderful results for yearbook photos and also explained everyone could use it it point and shoot mode. I bought it andI am very pleased with no regrets for my use.

I am not planning on going pro but I believe in buying the best quality products I can affordfor mypurposes which I believe is the general rule of thumb for optics. I researched rifle scopes for over a year before buying one. I have no regrets about that purchase because of the amount of research I did.

My Camera of course came with the EFS 18-55. I have taken over 5000 pictures since November 2004 and cant stop. I am artistic in nature and this camera makes that come out. I do mostly walk around but have lots of property and I am missing lots of wildlife shots thatI just can get close enough to with the lens I have. I do not plan on running out and buying ultra-tele's or any lenses for that matter. I figuredI would hang around here and absorb good advise until I'm sure I'm getting what suits my needs.

I have taken some very good quality pictures. Most by chance and some because I am developing an "eye". Because of this Ihave been asked by my future daughter-in-law to take pictures at the wedding reception in addition to a professional photographer at the church. I explained to them that I am not qualified todo a pro's work butI would do what I could in addition to it. If I have to take a few hundred pics to get a handful of keepers, then so be it. Whatever we get, we get. Its a year away also which gives me timefor more practice.I will be looking to purchase a lens for this purpose too so all advise is welcome.I enjoy taking candid shots of people (which in my opinion is usually my best) andI want to be able to wander around and take portraits as well as get close up candids, from a distance.

I will browse the site for all the above mentioned but if anyone wants to share something please feel free. I am a person who wholeheartedly believes that knowledge is power and even the most experienced person in any craft, still has something to learn. Thanks for listening.

I will add my photos to this site if that is encouraged.

LouDoo

LouDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2005, 3:29 PM   #2

Welcome. I would suggest in addition to your lense research you buy an external flash and get lots of practice using it. There are a lot of models you can research (Metz, Canon and Sigma) but I believe you will need one to get acceptable shots - the on-board flash is just too weak.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 5:05 PM   #3

Hi Nick,

I will read your site in detail. One of the reasons I started now is becasue I realizeI have much to learn in a year. Althoug the bride and groom will not be depending on me as their only source for memories that day, it would be wonderful ifI could surprise them with someadditional photos that may not necessarialy on the pros agenda that day, by this I mean mostly everyone else besides the bride and groom and respective families. I obviously will be playing second string that daybut friends are very important to these two and the bride would like me to get a lot of guest pictures, dancing and carrying on as opposed to the formal table shots. Thanks a bunch.

Lou
Old Apr 20, 2005, 5:14 PM   #4
Administrator

Welcome to the forums Lou!

The topic of Wedding Photography comes up from time to time. So,you may want to read through some of the existingthreads on the subject.

Here are two recent threads that you may find of interest:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=37

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=37

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 5:17 PM   #5

JohnG,

Thanks, I figured I needed to look into the flash too. I was asked to take pictures of the tables set up recently at the hall where they are having the reception. They had it set up one day with all the different combinations that the bride and groom could choose for their day. It was easier for me to burn a disk for them to keep for the next year then to remember every detail with just a walk through. I took a bunch of point and shoot pics which didn't turn out well because of the lighting. I started fooling around with the manual modes of the DRebel and got some very nice shots but with much experimentation. I also got some very good ones in the "night portrait" flash mode. I will search the site for sure and a flash is one thing I figured I would need to add to my bag. By the way, the "bag" doesn't exist yet. I'm speaking for the future.

Lou