Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 15, 2002, 8:54 PM   #1

Default color a tad to the "yellowish" side..........

I recently purchased an Olympus E20. I'm kind of noticing it seems to be taking some pictures a bit to the "yellow" side. I have a red and white aluminum siding house and the red is just a touch off the real color. Maybe a bit towards the orange side. Not that bad, just a touch. I'm basically a rookie with cameras, just wondering is this a white balance thing? i've tried it on auto setting and i've manually set it and get the same results. Do you think i just need to learn the camera? The reason i say that is because before this camera i had an Olympus 2040Z and i've taken basically the same pic of the house and it's true to color. Just wondering. Thanks!!!
probert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2002, 10:07 PM   #2

I'll assume that you are using auto white balance or are manually setting it to the appropriate light type (Sun or cloudy since you are talking about the side of your house).

Try different white balance settings. Aslo remeber that different camears will probably see colors in a different way. It's just like color film. They have different balances to them, even if you are looking at day light balanced films.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2002, 10:46 PM   #3

Sounds suspiciously like a "cloudy conditions" white balance setting.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2002, 12:32 AM   #4

I don't know if your camera has a manual white balance setting... mine lets me use a white card or paper to let the camera sample what white is in current lighting conditions.

Take a look at your owner's manual for an entry on manual white balance...

Many Canons allow shooting in a propietary format that lets you alter white balance, saturation and sharpness after the shot is taken... your camera might also lrt you do this.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2002, 3:42 AM   #5

Try a 'reference' condition. How do flash photos look? If they also have the same colour cast, suspect cam or monitor.

Although as said, each cam manufacturer seems to have their own colour flavour, which you can adjust to taste.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2002, 11:39 AM   #6

Not only that, but the way you are viewing the images can alter the yway they look. After fooling around with the white balance you *could* fool around with your monitor's color settings.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2002, 12:06 PM   #7

So, he corrects his monitor display then, and a few thousand pics later when the warranty's run out, finds out it was his cam after all!

Don't judge whites on your monitor in case it's wrong. Look for some white highlight burn, even over-expose a little on some test shots then check image RGB values using your photo ed. for parts of the scene you believe to be white. if you're getting near to 255,255,255 and the area still looks yellow on your monitor. It's your monitor colour balance.

Download some pics from here as well, and make sure they look ok. Just out of interest, does your cam have a black & white mode? All shades of grey should have very similar RGB levels. If the levels are very different something's up with the cam, if the levels are close and you see colour shades on your monitor - checkout your monitor.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2002, 8:42 PM   #8

First of all, THANKS everyone for the replies. I played around a bit more and i'm 90% sure it's a white balance thing. I guess i have to apply myself and learn how to really take pictures. I'm glad they have forums like this..... VERY helpful. If i find i'm still having problems, i'll give a shout out.
In the mean time............. i had posted a message in the SLR camera section that hasn't been answered yet. Not sure many people go there compared to this forum. My other camera (olympus 2040Z) needed an adapter to add lenses and filters........ this camera has a 62mm thread in the front, can i just add lenses and filters directly to the lens or do i need an adapter for this also. i'm thinking i add directly to the lens? And if so, any suggestions where i can get lenses and filters for this specific camera? Quality stuff?
probert is offline   Reply With Quote