Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 15, 2002, 11:05 PM   #1

Default Taking indoor photos with dim light condition (CP4300)

I know nothing about photography, just point and shoot.

Just bought Coolpix 4300, with the auto function, result is really great.. However when I try to take pictures in restuarant or hotels where the light are relatively dim, the result are horrible.

When in the auto mode, the shutter speed seems to be quite long, about 3 secs. Problem is without tripod, the image is blurred and the subject may not keep still for the shooting.

Wonder if there is any function in the camera, I can use? I had tried the macro scene setting too, but no improvement.

Or there is no other choices except to learn the manual mode setting for taking pictures in such conditions?

Thanks
kelvinkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2002, 11:31 PM   #2
Administrator

Sounds like you have disabled the flash ? If so, turn it back on!
If the shutter speed is 1/30 or slower then you will definitely need a tripod or have the camera sitting on a solid surface and use the self-timer so you're not touching it when the shutter fires.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2002, 1:34 AM   #3

In low light situations, most affordable digicams give a grainy, out-of-focus image...that's the nature of the beast, hopefully the manufacturers are dealing with this problem...the alternative is using a laser pointer to help your camera 'focus' on the low-light subject. :lol:
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2002, 11:53 AM   #4

Even if you are using the flash, your focal point may be out of the flash range and you will have subpart results with your photos.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2002, 12:42 PM   #5

When you're with groups indoors, change your shooting style, get closer to take more flash close-ups of individuals and couples, perhaps a slight touch of zoom to be less noticed. You can afford to take more pics now - rather than cram everybody into a wide shot which the cam, flash and lens will find more difficult. The impromptu candid pics can often turn out more interesting!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2002, 7:23 PM   #6

I am a novice at this myself but I just took some pictures almost in the complete black of night with my Canon S30 (on a tripod with nothing more than the flash). I did not think for a moment that my pictures would turn out and when I looked at the pictures from the camera they looked almost completely black even with my camera's standard editor (Zoombrowser).

For grins I ran the pictures through QImage Pro which some on this site have recommended. After some minor tweaking it looks as though I have floodlamps on my subjects. Wonderful pictures. I am astonished since the pictures looked black and dark.

I'm not necessarily advocating one product over another nor am I'm qualify to say that this will help you in your situation. But this has sure taught me how good image software is just as valuable as a good camera.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2002, 7:47 PM   #7
PSP

I think the key difference between the Nikon 4300 (problems in low light) and the Canon S30 (no problems, even in total dark), is the autofocus assist lamp. If there's not enough light for the Nikon's autofocus to "see", then it can't focus properly. Usually there's an LED near the viewfinder that will tell you whether or not the camera thinks it has achieved focus. The lamp on the Canon comes on during the focusing process and gives the autofocus just enough light to be able to focus.
PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2002, 8:28 PM   #8

Thanks for the wonderful suggestions..

Just want to clarify a point, Using CP4300 in a total darkness, in my room turns out well, like in normal condition.. although my room is quite small about 4 meters.

It is in those dim orange light resturant I am having problem with.. I will try out some of the suggestions given. I think maybe if I use some setting in the manual mode would solve all this because I have a friend using a older 2M canon IXUS camera and the picture turn out quite ok. At least the shutter is not that long and in focus.

Once again, thanks for the suggestions!
kelvinkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2002, 4:44 PM   #9

Perhaps somebody can answer this, why is it with fixed focus lens cameras, you can get from a few metres to infinity Depth of Field, but a digicam always seems to default to near focus rather than infinity when used in low light when it cannot focus itself?

Is the reason flash works in total darkness because the cam stops its iris down in readiness for the flash anyway- increasing DOF, but in all other low light situations it opens up the iris and is at near focus until corrected? If the latter, I'd rather start with a mid focus to infinity setting as default.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2002, 5:51 PM   #10

There was a discussion on using a laser pointer to assist with auto focus in low light condigitons. Go to this thread:
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ighlight=laser
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote