Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 19, 2002, 11:52 PM   #11

Look at a dimage 7i. There is a 7Hi too. Both can be had for under 1000.00. The 7i is cheaper around 740.00. Use CF flash cards, Ibm micordrives and Rechargeable AA batteries. Has 7X zoom. Go to a store and hold it and use it then decide.
rikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2002, 12:48 AM   #12

I'm swaying towards nikkon and olympus
nikkon seemes to have more after market lenses and olympus is ten power to start.Like the looks of the 5700 Would teach me plenty and I could grow into it but its a little spendy.
Worried about the 730 heard bad and good, worried about the noise. I'm still saving,what are your thoughts on refurbished?
larebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2002, 6:45 AM   #13

I would hesitate to purchase refurbished unless it was from the camera vendor. Often the retailers will offer refurbished cameras and then sale you an exteneded warranty that makes the camera more expensive than a new one. Another way to evaluate a refurbish is read reviews of those who have purchased one. There are some popular cameras that have been discontinued and the only way to purchase one is to buy refurbish.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2002, 8:52 AM   #14
lg

I purchased a refurbished camera, and haven't had any problems with it. It came with a written 90-day warranty from Olympus. I have had warranty work done by Olympus and was quite pleased with the work they did on my camera. While I haven't had any problems with the refurbished unit, I have no reason to believe that I would be dissatisfied with any warranty work done by Olympus. All they require for warranty work is a copy of the invoice showing the date of purchase, so make sure you stipulate you need this when purchasing a refurbished unit.

As for extended warranties offered by anyone other than the manufacturer, I personally believe they are a waste of money because they may not cover the particular problem you are having. The Olympus warranty is all inclusive.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2002, 2:11 PM   #15

A Nikon CoolPix 4500 is becoming a favorite of birders as you can digiscope it easily (my niece bought one for birding at Point Pelee, Ont.). You need the camera, the adapter, the scope and a solid support for all three.
If you don't want to use a tripod or scope, the old Olympus C-2100 (2MP) stabilized 10X zoom is good, but probably only available used now. (I saw used one for $549 Cdn at a camera store last week).
I don't do much in the way of animal shots with my FinePix 2800. It's full 6X zoom will only give me what I consider as 1:1 images of what I can see with the naked eye. That is: when I view my 228mm equivalent 2MP images at 100% on a 15" monitor, it is approximately what I saw in real life (it is not a closer view). There is a shot of a heron tyaken at about 100 yards in my www.pbase.com gallery as an example:
http://www.pbase.com/image/7715266/original
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2002, 12:37 PM   #16

It seems that for digiscoping that nikon is the way to go .I's this true?
larebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2002, 1:49 PM   #17

Default Digiscoping information

Try this site for digiscoping information:

http://digiscopingukbirds.homestead.com/
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote