Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 16, 2002, 9:50 PM   #1

Default Help with what I need

I need a camera for wildlife pics something 8 or ten power zoom
Something that will make clear 8"x10"pics. Would like something that has a few lens options or add ons.Even something larger than an 8"x10" pic would be nice but that feature wouldn't used often.
Ive also read some rescent articles where spotting scopes were used as lenses that would be awesome for those loonnngg shots.
Would like to keep it around $1000. or less.
Oh yeah they called it digiscoping.
What camera do I need?
larebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2002, 7:10 AM   #2

I use the Nikon CP4500 for wildlife photography. Its got a nice optical zoom (only 4 x though) and will take a 2 x and 3 x Nikon Telephoto lens on top of this. You can also get a 5x Telephoto for it from EagleEye optics.

One of its strongest points though is in Digiscoping, where you can connect it to a telescope (I use a Leica APO Televid 77). This uses a simple adapter (the L1 Digimount adapter from EagleEye optics). That, a tripod and a remote release and you're ready to go.

In terms of print size, have a look at the Grasshopper photograph in my Insect World Gallery. I''ve printed that up to 10 x 8.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2002, 8:28 AM   #3

Thanks for the info Are all nikkons this adaptable or just certain models? By the way that's one great grass hopper pic.
Old Dec 17, 2002, 9:18 AM   #4

Several of the Olympus cameras are capable of adding lens and filters. Some of the cameras are the C4040, C4000, C5050, C730, etc.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2002, 10:16 AM   #5

Glad you liked the photograph. For a couple of good guides on possible accessories have a look at -

www.warehouseexpress.com

and

www.eagleeyeuk.com
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2002, 11:13 PM   #6

I've had an Olympus C700 for over a year now and love it. It has been replaced by the C720 and C730. I would recommend the C730. It is a 3MP with a 10X optical zoom that will take attachments and has full manual capability. The camera goes for less than $500 which is well under your $1000 limit.

I don't know of any other cameras with that long of a zoom. The Fuji S602 is another nice camera, but I have not used one yet. It has a 6X optical zoom and 3MP.
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2002, 11:29 PM   #7

I liked the looks of the 730 as well But can a scope be added to this camera.Not trying to insult anyone but what kind of quality can I expect from 3mp. :?:
Old Dec 18, 2002, 7:27 AM   #8

The quality of a 3mp camera will provide you great results. There are some image stablization issues with super zoom cameras. Look in the Olympus forum for disscussions on this issue. Super zoom cameras require very stable camera when shooting photos and the camera is at max or near max zoom. A tripod will solve many of these problems.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2002, 8:11 AM   #9

Is there still a noise issue with the 730?
Old Dec 18, 2002, 1:02 PM   #10

If you can find one, take a look at one of the cameras with a 10X stabilized lens (Oly 2100 UZ, 100RS or Canon Pro90IS). All of these cameras are now out of production but can be found if you look around. There's a great Oly add on lens (B300) which adds another 1.7 X to these camera lenses. You'll find this add-on a little tough to find, but they ARE available. Play your cards right and you'll be able to get the whole shebang for your budget.

These cameras have lower megapixel count, (2.6 for the Pro90, 2.1 for the 2100UZ and 1.7 for the 100RS) but take wonderful pix that produce excellent 8 X 10 prints.

The stabilizer reduces the need for a tripod under good lighting conditions, but with the extra lens installed these cameras are pretty heavy. I regularly use my Pro90 without a tripod (or add-on lens) and it handles very nicely.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote