Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:37 PM   #1

I am looking for software that can tell me the camera and the settings used to take the picture I am looking at. I know it does it on dslreports, how can i do this.
Vinny77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2005, 11:22 PM   #2

I use Picture Information Extractor from Picmeta, but there are a number of programs that do the same thing. The information is usually referred to as EXIF data.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 11:43 PM   #3

PIE from Picmeta looks to be a nice little program and by all means try the demo before you decide to buy,but if all you want is to read the Exif info, then try Exif Reader, it's free and will tell you all you need to know. http://www.takenet.or.jp/~ryuuji/min...fread/english/

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 12:41 AM   #4

If you're using windows XP you can try right clicking on the image file --> properties --> summary that'll show the image's EXIF data.
mark040477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 8:55 AM   #5

the data may not be available due to process handling. some older programs strip the exif data leaving you with just a pretty pictureor may have the original owner may have done so knowingly. so don't be surprised if can't extract it from some.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 9:09 AM   #6
Administrator

I use iEXIF now for a quick look at EXIF information in photos posted online.

After installing it, you can right click on a photo and you'll see a menu choice that says "View EXIF/GPS/IPTC Information with iExif".

When looking at EXIF information with iExif this way, you can also switch to "Advanced Mode", which links to a more advanced decoding of the EXIF (better interpretation of makernotes, etc.).

This product works as a browser plugin, with versions available for Internet Explorer or Firefox running under Windows.

http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/

As for quickly viewing the EXIF in a photo that I've downloaded, I use irfanview (downloadable from http://www.irfanview.com ). Make sure to download the free plugins, too. You'll see the EXIF information under Image, Information, EXIF. It allows you to easily copy the EXIF information into your clipboard for pasting into other programs, forum posts, etc. (there is a separate button for copying the information to the Windows clipboard).

As sjms pointed out, an image may not contain any EXIF, because many editors strip it out. Even if they don't strip it out, it may be modified in some way.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 9:34 AM   #7

OPanda iEXIF. Neat program JimC, thanks very much for the link. Much easier than dragging a file onto Exif Reader all the time, (one i've been using), and just as much info. Now just got to stop them pesky varmints from using 'save for web' and the like :roll:.

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote