Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 18, 2002, 7:47 PM   #1

Default canon s30, olympus d550, or sony dsc p71

I have read all the reviews. Problem is that all of the reviews seem positive.

I am a mild poto-buff. I have took a few photo class in hi-school (about 8 years ago). But I don't need a professional level camera. The price of the s30 ($700 CDN/ $430 USD) is my limit.

The camera will be used from everything from sports pictures (ski trips to hockey games) to birthday parties.

While I won't be blowing many of these up, I would like the ability to make the odd 8x10 (I think 3MP is enough for this).

I would love to here some comments.

thanks
~S

ps - as long as the camera is one under my limit, I do not care abou the price. i.e., don't commnent the 550 is good b/c it is cheaper.
snowsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2002, 8:55 PM   #2

The Oly 550 is a good camera even if it is cheaper. Looking at your dollar limit you could purchase the C4000. Web prices are around your budget. Check www.dealtime.com for pricing and vendor ratings.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2002, 8:37 AM   #3

IMHO the Canon S30 is way over priced. It's a tad nbetter 9feature wise) than the Oly but god it's pricey.

I was looking at those two cameras then decided, for a similar price, that i get a better movie mode, add on lenses and a big bugger zoom on the Fuji 3800 ... so i bought that.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2002, 10:44 AM   #4

Unfortunately, which camera I get is limited by the selection @ futureshop (www.futureshop.ca), as I am a seasonal salesman there. My last shift is boxing day.

As I would like to take advantage of staff discounts, I am limitied to those sold by FS.

I would like to add another candidate to the list:
Olympus C-720z.

I know that it seems it is more $$ than the s30, but it seems like a pretty good deal.

One issue I have with the 720 is its lack of stabilized lens. At 8x zoom, it is hard to tell how steady you are because of the EVF. If it didn't have the EVF atleast I would know if I am steady or not. But I guess if it did have a stabilized lens, it certainly would not be in my $ bracket :-) If you have one of these, how useable is the 8x zoom w/o a tripod, etc.

the 720 weighs in at $405USD, and the s30 $350.
Old Dec 19, 2002, 11:08 AM   #5

I’d take the 720 any day … that big zoom is a tonne of fun. The fuji has a 6x and it’s just so much better than the lousy 3x on 99% of cameras.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2002, 11:12 AM   #6

snowsquirrel

The Oly 720 would be a good camera. The stablization issue was discussed at this thread:
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5626

You will need a tripod or a very steady hand at the max zoom.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2002, 6:19 AM   #7

I have had a C700 for over a year. I haven't had much of a problem with blurring due to the long lens. However, I have been using an SLR with long zoom lenses for about 20 years and have gained some experience and I also seem to have a knack for being able to get good shots without a tripod. Sometimes I surprise myself!

I don't know what the price in canadian for a C730 would be, but it may be within your range and has a few features above the C720. If the C730 is too expensive, go for the C720, you'll love the lens.
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2002, 8:11 PM   #8

I bought the 720. I have had a limited amt. of time to play with it, but I really love it so far.

Just thought I would update, and thank everyone for the help.

~S