Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 20, 2002, 4:48 PM   #1

Default albums and organizers

I need some recommendations on which album or organizer is the easiest and most flexible to use. I want one that just organizes and does not include edit capability. I use Photoshop Elements for editing and its wonderful but a little complicated at times.

Thanks.
ppc Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2002, 5:27 PM   #2

You should take a look at the new version of AcdSee 5.0. I'm not totally sure, but I think you can download the old 3.1 version for free. Try it and I'm sure you will like it. The most important thing (IMO) between the two, is that the 3.1 is a lot faster in decoding photos and has less editing capabilities.

www.acdsee.com

There's several others and I have tried out a lot of them, but I always returns the my Acdsee.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2002, 6:22 PM   #3

I have Win 2000 installed. With Windows Explorer there is a thumbnail view option so in any folder I can view all images in thumbnail form. I go one step further however and copy the My Pictures folder and use it to organise all my photo files. I even have an empty copy of the My Pictures folder saved for replication purposes to make the process even easier. This way I have thumbnail views in all my photo folders, a preview screen on the left and the option of single click full screen viewing of any photo. The only option it does not offer is a slideshow but that I can get from the Camedia software that came with my camera.
I have tried various photo album applications and frankly they are all just too much trouble compared with the solution described.
Richard Howes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2002, 2:27 AM   #4

I see your point Richard. I also use win 2000, however I have more than 15000 photos in my database, which means that win2000 is too slow and inefficient to use for that purpose. The problem with using the windows Picturefolder is if you get a systembreakdown! Then I have to load about 40 Cd-roms back into picturefolder.
Thats why I bought a HD 180GB - partitioned it and use this drive for photos only. This is here Acdsee comes handy.
When my problem gets into trouble now, I just load in my image of windows2000 - and no trouble affects MY picturefolder. I dont even have to load the the thumbnails in again. Acdsee sees to that.
The only way I would recommend the Windows picturefolder is if you have a backup of your photos - and not a lot of photos like me.
BTW Acdsee can do the slideshow, resize and rotate photos easily.
Old Dec 21, 2002, 4:37 AM   #5

Klaus, with 40 CDs full of pictures you have a problem of much larger scale than many of the rest of us!
The original post seemed to be looking for a cheap and simple solution without any picture editing requirements, hence my suggestion. There is nothing simpler than using Picture Folder.
It is of course quite possible to copy Picture Folders onto a CD-R too and continue to enjoy the viewing feature off the CD. I grant you that it won't rotate images though, that must be done before the images are transferred to CD.
Richard Howes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2002, 4:47 AM   #6

Quote:
I need some recommendations on which album or organizer is the easiest and most flexible to use.
That's why I suggested Acdsee!

http://www.acdsystems.com/English/Pr...LAN=EnglishX24

It will show your photos in full screen - no frames or other disturbing element. FAST decoding. Show almost all type og photofiles.

Mr. Howes - you should try it. Just for the fun of it.
Old Dec 21, 2002, 7:13 AM   #7

I have a freeware program called vueslide that will provide full size slide show of files in a folder. I will gladly email this to anyone who would like to use it.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2002, 8:13 AM   #8

ACDSee everytime!! It's cheap, includes an editor when you know where to find it, does batch renames, downsizes files for email, tracks Klauses 40cds by keeping the info data on each cd if he wants - what more can you need?

WARNING on one version I tried, I think the editor changed your imported file and saved without asking! So always import a copy of the cam original.

Slideshows on a laptop now replace my photo album!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2002, 11:35 AM   #9

Yes Voxmagna - the best thing about Acdsee I think - is the database thumbnail storage. Just save that databasefile in a backup. Format you HD, install windows and Acdsee and YES all your thumbnails will still be there. Thats really great if you have a lot of shots.
Old Dec 21, 2002, 11:46 AM   #10

Just as useful, is the feature to change the res. of all those thumbnails - so even my elderly laptop with a P133 can cope with a large photo archive!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote