Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 21, 2002, 11:46 AM   #1

Default Very sad today. Just bought a Pentax Optio 230 and zoom suck

Anyone using this model? I just bought it today and arghh... When I use the 3X optical zoom the image was BLUR BLUR BLUR !!

And as I have a Cannon Ixus (my friend's) and I tried taking the same object with the same amount of zoom , it is SOOO much clearer... Anyone know why ?

VERY SAD
babymushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2002, 12:06 PM   #2

Try a post here: seems there some owners of other models giving dud pics and the 'blues'

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=24
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2002, 12:25 PM   #3

It seems weird but when I tried using flash the picture turns out to be MUCH clearer .. Anyone have any idea why ?
Old Dec 21, 2002, 1:03 PM   #4

Too many unknowns in your post at the mo.

If you're indoors, low light, using zoom without flash, chances are auto focus doesn't stand much of a chance. If you use flash at maximum zoom when the subject is more than 4 metres or so away, you might have a similar focus problem, common to most digicams.

If you're on the same latitude as me and it's dark outside, wait until tomorrow and try the cam in daylight first, then flash at different distances without zoom, then push the reasonable limits of your expectation and come back with your results for more help.

All cams vary in performance. However, some do certain things better than others, so it's just a matter of matching reasonable expectation of performance for pics you want to take, to model and price.

So, if what you want is a cam that will give perfect pictures at 10 metres + with zoom and flash engaged, we may be able to help, but it will be a more expensive solution.
Old Dec 21, 2002, 1:10 PM   #5

Lolz... Did not know there is so much details that needed to be added in .. sorry about that.

I was about 2 metre away from a picture hanging on the wall and I tried to zoom in 3X taking the picture ... That was for TESTING purposes....

If I don't use flash it will be very very blur ... but if I were to use flash it will be Much Clearer but there will be the flash reflecting off the Glass of the picture.

I am indoors with a Floresent Light Above... Is that considered Low Light?
Old Dec 21, 2002, 1:34 PM   #6

Indoors with flourescent light is low light. The 2 metre distance is OK, but shooting at glass or through glass so close with flash, can confuse auto focus. You should find something in the manual about this. The next problem with your test technique will be the reflection of light coming back from the glass and its suroundings. Even though you have zoomed to the area of the picture. If the picture is glossy - same problem. There is probably not much contrast in your picture either, so not much for focus to work on.

This is why bounce flash is used, i.e in your case pointing the flash at the ceiling to diffuse the light. But you need a cam with a hot shoe and external flash unit.

If you specifically need to take pictures on walls in galleries, I or others will help. But if you are just experimenting, try what I suggested, as what you are doing is potentially difficult.

If you don't believe me, try pointing a powerful quartz halogen lamp at an angle to your picture on the wall, make sure you include the sides of the frame in the shot and shoot without flash.
Old Dec 21, 2002, 2:49 PM   #7
Administrator

Put the camera on a tripod and use the self-timer if you want to take low light pictures without the flash.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2002, 10:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Indoors with flourescent light is low light. The 2 metre distance is OK, but shooting at glass or through glass so close with flash, can confuse auto focus. You should find something in the manual about this. The next problem with your test technique will be the reflection of light coming back from the glass and its suroundings. Even though you have zoomed to the area of the picture. If the picture is glossy - same problem. There is probably not much contrast in your picture either, so not much for focus to work on.

This is why bounce flash is used, i.e in your case pointing the flash at the ceiling to diffuse the light. But you need a cam with a hot shoe and external flash unit.

If you specifically need to take pictures on walls in galleries, I or others will help. But if you are just experimenting, try what I suggested, as what you are doing is potentially difficult.

If you don't believe me, try pointing a powerful quartz halogen lamp at an angle to your picture on the wall, make sure you include the sides of the frame in the shot and shoot without flash.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I am not specifically shooting pictures in gallaries but just more for experimentaion sake. The main reason I did that was that I found that cannon ixus V did it much clearer than Pentax thus I posted it up here asking why
Old Dec 22, 2002, 11:02 PM   #9

For a more (?) valid test, try shooting in different situations with both cameras. You might find that one fares better than the other in one situation, and the reverse in another situation. Shooting through glass is always tricky (focus on glass or subject behind glass?); flash through glass ditto (reflection, refraction to contend with); low light using artificial lighting will depend a lot on how a camera deals with white balance (some are better than others).

Generally, however, the Canons do have a reputation for excellent pictures.
solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2002, 3:10 PM   #10

I am surprised if the Pentax manual does not discuss areas where the AutoFocus has problems, as was mentioned above:
shiny or reflective objects;
objects with little or not contrast (white wall, blue sky, black cloth).

Also I would assume the Pentax has a "Camera Shake" and/or "Autofocus Problem" indicator which shows on the LCD under these conditions (indoors/ no flash). This will not show in the optical finder, but there may be a LED beside the finder that flashes or turns a different color to indicate these things.

I have often neglected these warnings myself, having been too focused (forgive the pun) on composition, with poor pictures as a result.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote