Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 22, 2002, 1:23 AM   #1

Default Not sure which camera I want

I am looking into my first digital camera which I will be using for taking pictures for my school newspaper and for my own personal camera. I want something that has many useful features and manual settings I can grow into. I want one that can accept add-on lenses that don't block the flash (and preferably something that could use the lenses from my dad's 35mm slr with the right adapter). My price range is no higher than about 650, but I only want to spend less than 400 unless it is absolutely necessary. However, under no circumstances will I buy sony for several reasons I will not get into here. I was thinking maybe the a40, however I would like more megapixels because I will probably have this camera for several years. What do you suggest?
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2002, 1:31 AM   #2

Actually, now that I think about it, a $500 camera would be okay, however with smart media limited to 128 and with cnet calling its future into question, i want a camera that uses either sm and something else, or no sm at all.
Old Dec 22, 2002, 2:30 AM   #3

Are you on quaaludes?
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2002, 2:50 AM   #4

That was uncalled for and had nothing to do with my question. I do not believe that I have recently (if ever) entered a state of euphoria and nor do I behave irrationally or slur my speech. I'd say that anyone who would think me on drugs after only reading 2 posts and then posts it with no evidence (not even heresay) exhibits more of the irrational behavior enduced by your quaaludes than I ever have in my entire life. Furthermore, the only drugs I have ever taken are either prescription or over the counter medication and used only for my allergies and the occasional headache (though, I rarely take headache medication because I do not believe in overmedicating myself for much the same reason quaaludes are bad: the fact that the body or the microbes become tolerant rendering the medication useless). However if you wish to make baseless accusations about me, I suggest you type them up in an email or letter and send them to someone who cares, like the recycle bin, or a paper shredder. Unless I am mistaken (which, after reading several posts in various forums, I do not believe I am) this forum is for people to help eachother with problems concerning digital cameras!
Old Dec 22, 2002, 12:38 PM   #5

How much does a Fuji 602 cost - great camera. The zoom problem you mention might be a problem with many big zoom jobs e.g. Oly 730. However, if you can get hold of one of the non-oly adaptors I think it's ok. The Oly CLA4 certainly gets in the way of some of my shots. The Oly 730 uses SM and XD. XD is supposed to be able (in the future) hold up to 8 gigs.

What's quaaludes? Never heard of it/them.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2002, 1:05 PM   #6

Suggest you look into a refurbished Olympus 2100UZ. It has a 35mm equivalent 38-380 mm stabilized lens. It's a 2.1 megapixel camera that will print excellent pictures up to 8 X 10, more than you'll ever need for your paper. The camera has been discontinued, but can be purchased from the manufacturer.

Another great camera, the Olympic 100RS, has the same great lens but offers the capability of shooting very rapidly, making it terrific for sports photos. This one is also discontinued, but available if you look around.

Either of these can be found for under $500.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2002, 2:42 PM   #7
lg

I own two Olympus C-2100's and I agree that a refurbished one might be just what you are looking for. The zoom is fixed, and it takes additional lenses with only a step-up adapter ring. The wide angle lens I have (WCON-08E) does partially block the flash, but I'd suggest getting a much more powerful flash and putting it on a bracket to resolve that problem. Most digital cameras are prone to redeye because of the close proximity of the flash to the lens, and an external flash will take care of that as well. With a little shopping, you should be able to find a refurbished one on eBay for about $360, leaving you something in your budget for extra media, accessories, etc.

The E-100RS will cost a little more, has 15fps capability, 1.5MP vs 2.1MP, but will take either SM or CF cards. Either camera is a great choice for what you described above.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2002, 12:19 AM   #8

You ask for a lot at such a low price. You'll have to forget a camera that will take your Dad's 35MM SLR lenses. Not gonna happen at your price point. At least not today. But I think you are making the right call in avoiding a camera that does *only* SmartMedia. The SmartMedia defenders will say "buy more cards". Not an ideal answer in my book.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2002, 3:02 PM   #9

I don't think that media type should be too much of a deterrent to buying a specific camera, if it does the things you want, and handles well. The likelihood of a media type being totally withdrawn from the market when millions of people own cameras (and other types of devices too) that take that media type is very slim. e.g. you can still easily buy 8mm video tape even though Hi-8, Digital-8 and DV are trying to saturate the market. You can still buy 110 size film even though I haven't seen a person with that camera type for years. Once you have a few large cards, it's unlikely you'll need more cards several years down the road, within the life expectancy of a current digital camera. You'll either outgrow it, or something you just can't do without will appear on the market to supplant it. And then you can always find used cards if everyone else is upgrading and dumping their old equipment.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2002, 3:11 AM   #10

about how long is the life expectancy of a digital camera anyway?