Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 13, 2005, 6:02 AM   #1

I've got SONY DSC F-717 and also a lens (KEPCOR High-Tech AF Video Teleconverter 2.0X 49mm (MPL) Japan).

Im new in this photography filed. I've come to know about this aperture, shutter and ISO through this forum. Im interested in this landscape photography. Do you people think my camera is good enough? It's cybershot 5 mega pixels.

Took the picture yesterday
Attached Images

FriedDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2005, 6:04 AM   #2

another picture taken this afternoon.
Attached Images

FriedDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 10:44 PM   #3

You want to know if your camera is good enough. If you are happy with the pictures it takes, it is good enough. That camera first came out in 2002, I think, so it's not the newest. However, it is still very capable. It has some very nice low light ability.

One of the guys who writes a column which is linked to Steve's front page, owned this camera and raved about it. http://www.steves-digicams.com/smp/07282002.html Actually he owned the 707, the predecessor to the 717.

So you have a 5 megapixel camera with a 10X optical zoom (if you use the teleconverter) and the ability to takegood pictures in low light. Sounds like a good deal to me. Learn how to use it well. Read the manual. Check the reviews of it. Experiment. Then, maybe, you will ready to uprade.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 8:09 PM   #4

The 717 is a great camera. I took 3000 pictures with mine in a little over a year. I'm not so sure about the extra lens though. I tried a 2x lens "Digital Optics" and it was worthless (Very dark). You get what you pay for. Iuse it as a magnifying glass now. I Then bought the Sony lens and it workedpretty good but it's slow.

If you got thesoftware with the camera you can fix these pictures a little. If not, get some image software so you can work on them when you get them on your computer. (Post Processing)I took a shoot at your picture to see if a quick edit would help. I think you can see it did. It only took seconds so it worth the effort. I hope i got the color right.

If you don't have the manual i think you can download it from the Sony website.

Have fun and good luck
dale
Attached Images

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 8:27 PM   #5

OK... I took a shot at the other one but i knew it had some problems.

It's real dark probably from your add on lens.

It has vignetting. That's the dark corners and it's the add on lens also.

It's not level. Lets blame the lens here too because you couldn't see through the lens good enough too get it level. I left it that way so you could see the vignetting

So hang out at the Sonyforum and you'll learn some stuff there. But for pictures and post processing read all the post in Critiques and Techniquesand other forums in the Post Your Photos

Good luck
dale
Attached Images

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote