Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 25, 2002, 8:06 AM   #1
joy

Default advice from those experienced would be helpful!!!

Help me!! I need answers from people who have camera experience! I've been looking for a digital camera. (You'll probably be seeing many more questions from me in the near future.)

I want it to be on the small side so I can take it with me everywhere, but I also want to have manual options that I could experiment with. Do any small cameras come with slr-type options? I don't want to buy a very simple point-and-shoot camera even though I am a 'newbie' because I'm afraid I'll get bored with it in a matter of hours.

I plan on emailing my pictures and posting them on an internet photo gallery type of thing... (if you could help me with where i could do that....)

I don't think I'll be printing them, but if I do I wouldn't enlarge them past 5 x 7.

I really don't know what a reasonable price would be for a camera that meets all this, but I wouldn't like to spend more than $400.

Hopefully you can help me choose a camera!!
joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2002, 9:21 AM   #2

The Olympus C4000 would seem to meet your needs. It is 4mp, 3x optical zoom. You can find it on the web for around $400 try www.dealtime.com for pricing and vendor ratings. It has both auto and manual settings. You could at a later date add a tube adapter to add filters or additional lens.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2002, 6:46 PM   #3

Hi Joy,

Welcome to the forum!

For my money (err....your money!), I would go with the HP850
camera.

It is an awesome product, relatively compact and can be picked up
for about $450.

Check out Steve's review of the camera at:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/hp850.html

Also, you can find more Secure Digital memory card for it for
about $110 on numerous web sites.

Email directly, if you want, for for detailed information

Again, welcome aboard, Joy!

Digcamfan[/list]
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2002, 12:26 AM   #4

Default Re: advice from those experienced would be helpful!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy
... I want it to be on the small side so I can take it with me everywhere, but I also want to have manual options that I could experiment with. Do any small cameras come with slr-type options? I don't want to buy a very simple point-and-shoot camera even though I am a 'newbie' because I'm afraid I'll get bored with it in a matter of hours.

I plan on emailing my pictures and posting them on an internet photo gallery type of thing... (if you could help me with where i could do that....)

I don't think I'll be printing them, but if I do I wouldn't enlarge them past 5 x 7.

I really don't know what a reasonable price would be for a camera that meets all this, but I wouldn't like to spend more than $400....
Check out the Nikon Coolpix 4300 though it's a tad on the expensive side:

http://www.photoxels.com/giftGuide2002_amateur.html
solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2002, 6:13 AM   #5

I agree with the above recommendation for the Coolpix 4300. There are cameras in that range by several companies. Check out Steve's reviews. Even the Cooplpix 995 would be a less expensive and good choice for what you describe.

I would recommend going with at least a 4 megapixel camera for two reasons. Even though you say you will not be printing larger than 5x7, you may be speaking out of an expectation that your pix won't be good enough to print out larger. But if you're interested in manual controls, I'd bet that after you see the results of your photography you will begin to want to print the special ones at 8X10.

Second of all, the extra pixels give you room to crop the image. Again, if you are interested in the creative control that manual features can give you, you will find in many of your shots one or more "pictures within the picture." Sometimes, cropping by 1/3 or more of your image leaves you with a view much better than what you thought of when you captured the image.

In other words, leave yourself room to grow with the camera. If you ever decide to upgrade later on, you'll still have a great backup camera. And if you don't decide to upgrade, you will still have the equivalent of a bicycle rather than a tricycle to get around on.
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2002, 6:09 PM   #6
joy

Default WOW

I was surprised when you guys recommended the 4300. It has been some time since I first posted the question, and I had narrowed it down to some 5 cameras. Guess what?? The Coolpix 4300 was one of them! Thanks for the help!
Old Dec 29, 2002, 8:45 PM   #7
joy

Default Hidden controls

I've been reading several reviews on the Nikon Coolpix 4300, and I've decided it wasn't the camera for me. Mostly because I want to buy a camera that I can use to experiment with manual controls, and because the 4300 is mostly an automatic camera, the manual controls are hidden in menus. I don't want to have to go through menus every time I want to change a setting. STILL, Thank you for the recommendation and the info on image cropping which I found to be very useful.
Old Dec 31, 2002, 1:11 PM   #8

Good luck on finding an under $400 camera that doesn't have the manual settings in a menu. Usually only very expensive models move manual settings to switches and dials on the body.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote