Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 26, 2002, 9:31 PM   #1

Default Anyone ever seen this on a photo?

I received a Canon s30 as a Christmas gift, and some photos I took of my daughter had these odd white blotches on them. Others seemed fine, no white marks noted. They don't appear to be hot pixels. You will notice them over my daughters right shoulder and in her hair.

http://www.lightspeedtechnology.net/images/cammi.jpg

Thanks for any comments,

Chris
Mindbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2002, 11:26 AM   #2

Over her right shoulder appears to be 2 flash reflections (one in the hair). Over her left shoulder appear to be dirt smudges on the wall.

She's a cute girl and obviously very proud!
WayneH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2002, 5:10 PM   #3

Flash reflection, hmm. Anyway to avoid those in the future? dim background lights, etc perhaps?

Thanks for the info!

Chris
Old Dec 27, 2002, 6:24 PM   #4

Chris,
I don't know if it is my monitor or what, but your photo shows up on my screen as VERY large (have to scroll to see it all) and it has a painted look, like a special effect . I have seen this before on some of the sample photos on Steves camera reviews.
Because of this I could not see any spots on the photo that you were talking about.
Perhaps someone could tell me why some photos look that way off the internet, but all the photos in my computer don't show this problem.
Bill .... :?:
Bill Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2002, 8:26 PM   #5

It could be flash not spots. I try to avoid taking pictures against white walls.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2002, 11:02 PM   #6

Bill,

I'm not sure why the photo would appear larger. On my computer it downloads as a rather large file then resizes itself somehow?!?!

gibsonpd3620,

Thanks for the advice, I will take that into consideration in the future.

Chris
Old Dec 27, 2002, 11:21 PM   #7

Those are flash reflections on the wall, it seems it is a glossy painted wall. To avoid get the subject away and at angle to the wall.
Jorge
Jorge Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2002, 8:44 AM   #8

My advice is to put her up agains the same wall, the same place and point you flash backwords! As simple as that.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2002, 3:34 PM   #9

The flash is fixed in the cam, how would I make it appear that it is turned backwards? Drape a hankerchief across it perhaps? Or maybe just turn the flash down a notch in the manual settings?

Thanks again,

Chris
Old Dec 28, 2002, 9:46 PM   #10

Make a diffuser out of a rectangle cut from a plastic translucent milk container. It should be wide enough to wrap around the sides of the flash housing when open. Open your flash and use gaffer's tape or masking tape (less preferrable because of leaving residue) and tape each end onto the side of the flash housing so that the plastic bellies out a bit so as not to touch the flash lens. That will allow the heat of the flash to dissipate adequately. This should help prevent hotspots as well as the not-quite-redeye that your daughter's pupils show.

You're learning why people get external flashes. They make all the difference in the world because of their flexibility.
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote