Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 28, 2002, 12:07 PM   #1

Default Kodak EasyShare DX4330 -or- Canon PowerShot A40 -pleasehelp!

Hi everyone
I am fairly new to digital cameras and certainly do not know everything there is to know about them but ive got some mooney together and have managed to narrow it down to these 2 cameras.

Thing is they both look very good but i cant decide and was hoping people who know their stuff could push me in the right direction

Here are the links where i would buy the cameras from:

Kodak EasyShare DX4330

Canon Powershot A40

It would be nice to be able to have some control over the camera but as its my first camera im not aiming for something really professional just yet!

If anyone thinks there are better cameras than these two for similar prices please let me know!

Thanks,
deanimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2002, 3:15 PM   #2

Anyone?
Old Dec 29, 2002, 3:36 PM   #3

The Kodaks usually have better prices per megapixel, but fewer features. They are OK if you are sure you will not want the features before you tire of the camera. They tend to exaggerate colors.
The A40 has a focus-assist lamp, shutter speeds and variable ISO that allow good night shots without flash, the ability to add filters and accessory wide angle and telephoto lens attachments, the ability to easily 'stitch' pictures together to form a panorama, good flash coverage.
The downside to the Canon is that it 'may' require the focus 'patch' from Canon, that some units have a misaligned lens (causes one side or the other of a picture to be blurred), and they 'bloom' (smear) at some high contrast boundaries (buildings or trees against a bright sky or bright white objects in flash pictures).
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2002, 4:24 PM   #4

Thanks Ron
Overall even though largely it will for point and shoot purposes i would like to be able to change a few features to experiment etc

Canon A40 it is i guess :]
Old Dec 31, 2002, 2:23 PM   #5

If you are going for the A40, try to buy at a dealer that also sells computers. That way you can check out the lens in the store before purchasing. Ensure the serial number has a '5' as the fifth digit, so that you don't need the firmware patch from Canon. Then take a picture of a wall (straight on at 90 deg) that has lots of things on it (signs, cameras, etc). Plug the camera into a computer USB port and display it on a monitor at full size (100%). Check that BOTH sides of the image are equally sharp. If not, try another unit. I'm not sure of the percentage of the units that have the misalignment problem, so better safe than sorry. For this reason, I do not recommend buying the A40 from a Web retailer: the cost of return (and possible loss/hassels) outweighs the savings.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 5:44 PM   #6

deanimate'
In the 1900's I used to buy "Kodak" film for my "Canon F1". Easy share is gimake for those who cannot master chargeing batteries or figure out how to download pictures. Go with a real Camera manufacter.
Good Luck on your choice,
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 5:57 PM   #7

Gary good to see you back.

deanimate go with the Canon A40.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 11:15 PM   #8

Deanimate,

Let me throw in one more vote for the A40. I've only had it for a few days, but I love it. The Kodak is an excellent camera, but the A40 is cheaper, and has a surprising amount of manual control for the price. Of course, the A40 is a 2 megapixel camera, while the 4330 is 3 meg. And the 4330 has 32meg of memory built in. Nice feature.

If you do decide to go with A40, let me add to MentorRon's excellent information. Many A40 users have reported problems focusing in low light. (In most low-light situations, the autofocus assist light is useless.) The secret is using "Program" mode and selecting Portrait (5-8 feet) or Landscape (Infinity). With these modes, the camera focuses based on the distance for the particular mode if it can't obtain a focus lock. I have taken pictures in almost total darkness, and every one has been in focus. Also, I was very impressed with the strength of the flash.

Just keep in mind that with a 2 megapixel camera, you're limited as to how much you can play with a picture's size (cropping, etc.) before you start to lose image quality.

Bottom line is, the A40 is a lot of camera for the money if you can be happy with a 2 megapixel camera.

Post back and let us know which one you bought.

Dan
Dan29944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 5:27 PM   #9

The A40 is a really nice camera for $250.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 5:34 PM   #10

Hmmm been a bit of a change to the camera situation.
Now that ive found out i can get the camera from the US ive found that there are massive savings to be had!

So the Fuji 2800 is now well within my price range and so are a multitude of other cameras

Just going to have a good look round and see what's best to get :]