Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 28, 2002, 5:43 PM   #1

Default Kodak DX4330 vs. Sony DSC-P7

We're purchasing our first digital camera for mostly family photography.

We're looking at $299 for the Kodak, $349 for the Sony (after $50.00 rebate) and both look quite close....care to vote or voice your opinion??

Thanks!
kimberwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2002, 2:42 PM   #2

If a lot of the photography is to be indoors in evening room lighting, make sure that whatever your choice is will focus properly and have sufficient flash range for the kinds of pictures you like to take. One of the weak points of many cameras is low light photography: not that they CAN'T take a picture, it's just hard for many cameras to focus and/or have sufficient flash range to light up subjects beyond 8 feet. The situation seems somewhat worse than for 35mm point-and-shoots. A camera with a focus-assist lamp often helps. A Canon A40 comes to mind, but it's only 2MP.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 6:14 PM   #3

kimberwing,
Beware compareing with manufacter "white paper". 2nd thought, more megapixels means "bigger" not better. Lens quality and much more come into play for quality. Though I have a 3.34 megapixel cam, most of my shooting is with my 2100UZ 2.1 megapixel with 10x optical zoom. Prints nice 8x10. read steves revews, make sure cam has reuired optical zoom, required flash .... If you think about adding later you will know what its like to have a Harley and buying something shinny every weekend for it. Add ons can 2x 3x your investment. Find the one that has your needs the closest for features, pic quality. When reading reviews remeber you do not want a cam that takes good-very good pics. You want Execelent and other words to that effect. When I want film I buy Kodak, when I buy a camera I look at the 35mm manufaters like Olypus, minalta, sony, nikon.
Good Luck,
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 6:27 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice, guys! Still researching.....
kimberwing is offline   Reply With Quote