Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 31, 2005, 12:12 PM   #1

Hi friends,

So I'm about 2 seconds away from hitting the "buy" button for a new DMC-FZ20. And since I'll be doing mainly outdoor photography, one of my first accessories will be a polarizer filter.

Which size do I need to purchase for this camera? Some online retailers seem to recommend 72mm, while another recommends a 55mm. Plus I'm reading a lot about adapters (Phayee) that allow different sizes to be put on.

Why would I want to put on an adapter to allow a smaller size filter? Am I wrong to assume that the larger the filter, the better it is?

I'd prefer to keep everyhing "stock", and just buy a filter that will fit out of the box.

For starters, I plan on purchasing a standard UV filter for indoors and protection, and a polarizer.

Thanks for any input.
PoweredBySoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2005, 9:18 PM   #2

From what I've found the FZ20 takes a 72mm filter.

And yes, using a smaller filter will cause dark corners in your photos. (Vignetting)
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 9:36 PM   #3

PoweredBySoy wrote:
Quote:
Am I wrong to assume that the larger the filter, the better it is?
YEP! You're wrong... Size is determined by the threaded area in front of the lens.
It is what it is. If you camera needs a 72mm then that's it. You can not make it smaller because the adapter would get in the field of view and vignette your picture.

You should be able to find this in the "SPECS" for that camera. You can get the "SPECS" either from the seller or just go to the manufacturer's website and look it up there.

Hope I helped ya
dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 12:56 PM   #4

You both helped, thank you.

I guess I was just thrown off by that one online retailer (forget which one) suggesting 55mm filters. I'm assuming it was just an error on their part.

72mm it is.
PoweredBySoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 9:49 AM   #5

Step up/ step down rings are as cheap as chips. I have a box full. from way back.

geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 12:04 PM   #6

You should by filters based on the largest lens diameter you have, and then buy adapters to allow the larger filter to fit on smaller diameter lenses. Do not try to put smaller filters on larger diameter lenses as vignetting will occur. Vignetting may also occur if you stack too many filters onto one lense (not to mention potential loss of image quality.)
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote