Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 31, 2005, 1:36 PM   #1

Hello, I'm new to the forum so let me tell u a little about my photography status. Just over a year ago i got my first digi cam, An olympus camedia c-150, ever since i got it ive taken pictures of everything and anything, i just love taking pictures. A lot of things annoyed me about it, it was very slow, you had to wait about 12 seconds to take the next picture, The battery life was terrible, even useing AA 2300mah nimh batteries i only got about 15 pictures to the charge with the LCD on (without flash) and about 25 with the lcd off (without flash)

About 2 months ago i decided to look for a new digital camera, I started reading reviews of small digital cameras around the £150 - £200 price range, after about a week later of reading about diffrent cameras, i thought about how much i liked my photography so the best thing to do would be to save for a more expensive camera. I looked at a few canon and nikon cameras and then he Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 caught my eye. (Thanks steve for your fantastic review) I read many reviews on this camera and then started saving for it.

I finally bought it, £510 at pixmania.com along with a kingston 2gb compact flash card (£105 at pricestorm.com) Ive had the camera 2 days now and i'm impressed with it, i'm just useing it in auto modes at the moment really. However i would like to learn more about photography, i want to be able to use the camera manually, select the right ISO for the right scene etc, can anybody recomend any good websites and/or books with good infomation? (I hate reading out of books so i like books with simple layouts and plenty of illistrations)

Also, ive been looking all over the internet for a raincover for this camera, ive had no luck though, does anybody know if/where i can get 1?

Thanks

:-)
Danny87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2005, 3:25 PM   #2

Bryan Peterson has a couple of books which are informative and fun to read and laythe groundwork for becoming a good photographer better than anything I've ever seen.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 4:08 PM   #3

You might check www.bhphoto.com for a rain cover. They are a huge photo store and stock lots of stuff. You don't have to buy there, but it is a decent place to search for things.

As to books, I would suggest many of the National Geographic photography books. They have some on general photography, and some on specific topics (like macro, wildlife, portraits, whatever.) I've never used them, but I've heard so many good things about them that they its worth a try.

Do realize that except in a few specific situations, digital and film are basicaly the same. So even older books that only talk about film cameras will still have a wealth of information. The only big differents are:
film has more dynamic range... they can capture pictures with brighter and darker areas in the same shot. In other words there is more "room" between the darkest dark and the lightest light that they can capture. So its easier to blow out a highlight or make the dark too dark with digital.

You can easily adjust the ISO with digital, but with film your generally locked in to the ISO of the film you pick. This gives you a lot more flexability than you had with film.

But things like aperture, shutter speed, Depth of field (well, ok, there are subtle differences there too), composition and stuff are all the same.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 10:23 PM   #4

Danny87

See if you can get this book from the library.

"digital photographer's Handbook" BY: Tom Ang (DK Publishing)(London UK)

After you see it you will want to buy it. Tons of illustrations but by no means overly simplified. He will make you a better photographer.

I paid$8 US on halfdotcom.

good Luck
dale
thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 5:25 AM   #5

thatsanicepicture2 wrote:
Quote:
Danny87

See if you can get this book from the library.

"digital photographer's Handbook" BY: Tom Ang (DK Publishing)(London UK)

After you see it you will want to buy it. Tons of illustrations but by no means overly simplified. He will make you a better photographer.
That's a good read, in fact I have had that out twice from the library.
Plus it's nice to get away from the computer screen.
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 3:02 PM   #6

Thanks to all that helped out :-D

I will look into those books now, also, thanks for the suggestion of a rain cover eric s.... but they didn't have one

Again, thanks all!
Danny87 is offline   Reply With Quote