Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 1, 2005, 5:08 PM   #1

Greetings to all ! I don't know what happened to the first try, but here goes again...

Thanks first to 'Steve' for the (considerable) work involved in establishing/maintaining

this site !

I seek the same type/detail of information found in the buyer's guide here for these tablets.

If this info. IS available on this site - doubtless due to being new - I've missed it !??

If not, please direct me to such a source.

Thank You For Your Time...

Warmly, Griz
Griz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2005, 8:32 PM   #2

Griz1 wrote:
Quote:
I seek the same type/detail of information found in the buyer's guide here for these tablets.If not, please direct me to such a source.
The best source I know:
"Graphics tablet" + review

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 9:32 PM   #3

I have some experience with graphic tablets, having written programs that use them.

The best at the time were, and my understanding is that they still are, come from Wacom. They make several lines and the general comments I've read are that you should go for the second line (not the lowest) and you should get one slightly larger than you might think (not the 4x5, maybe the 6x8) they get really cramped and you'll have trouble with fine control.

I know some who don't like them, and others who say they were revolutionary in changing how they worked with photos.... I've never tried photo so I don't know which way it would be with me.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 9:50 PM   #4

eric s wrote:
Quote:
I know some who don't like them, and others who say they were revolutionary in changing how they worked with photos.... I've never tried photo so I don't know which way it would be with me.
I don't know if revolutionary is the right term, but IMHO they are certainly easier to use than a mouse for some purposes (e.g., extended cloning, healing brush, fine detail work.)
The ideal in terms of resolution would be the largest size, but they are very expensive and out of the range of most non-professional graphic designers.
I had a Seiko tablet before my current Wacom, but I don't think that I experienced much (any?) difference in functionality for my purposes.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 7:21 AM   #5

I have the smallest Wacom and find it just fine for editing photos - little putzy mask adjustments mostly. Watch for sales and you are likely to be able to pick up the 4x5" for well under $100.

If you are planning on doing much drawing/painting, you will really want a larger tablet. I don't do that so don't feel the need for a larger tablet. Be nice to have, but not nice enough for me to spend the extra money.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote