Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 2, 2005, 9:56 AM   #1

I amII am new to photoshop. I took anumber of pictures under fluorescent lights and neglected tochange my white balancesetting, so took it it "auto" mode on my camera. Pictures are in JPEG. Can someone pls tell me the EASIEST, foolproof ways to fix that whitebalance issue in photoshop?trying out a Canon 20D and, in my first effort, took photos at my son's indoor graduation. Great shots, except I forgot to switch the white balance adjustment from auto to fluorescent lights. I'm still trying to get my arms around Photoshop Elements, and I don't particularly trust my eye (I'm color blind, which makes me a bit wary, but perhaps that's another thread . . . ).

Can someone walk me through (or point me to a resource that will walk me through) the most basic steps in fixing my white balance screw up in photoshop? Is there something I can do that essentially tells photoshop --"this picture was taken under fluorescent lights, but the moron who took it had the camera set at auto?"
JOJOJAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2005, 10:20 AM   #2

Try image adjust, adjustments, levels and use the white dropper to point at something in the picture that should be white.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 1:04 PM   #3

That is the same suggestion that I was going to give. If you can find something that should be white, the white eyedropper in levels does a great job.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 2:00 PM   #4

thanks. Since my son was wearing a white shirt, that should help!
JOJOJAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 3:54 PM   #5

Just make sure you use the white eyedropped and not the gray or black one. But you'll probably know if you do it wrong. Lots of things would go weird.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 5:21 PM   #6

JoJo...

You might consider using RAW (you'll have to use the "creative zone") to shoot RAW files. You can change white balance during the conversion process. In fact, some converters let you adjust the white balance very precisely with a Kelvin temperature setting.

There are other advantages to using RAW, including sharpening and saturation modification during conversion. Judging by your question, you're smart (experienced?) enough to move on to RAW file mode.

There are some down sides to RAW, mainly file size and more post processing. Consider moving on to RAW file capture.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote