Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 6, 2005, 4:10 PM   #1

Hi guys and gals,

I should get a break with these dumb question right? First post... :?

I have the SD300 and for the life of me, I can't seem to figure out how to set the shutter speed. I was able to read on the "long" shutter speed, and can't figure out how to shoot at "short/faster" shutter...

Or, is this even possible. I know the specs sez something 15 to 1/xxxx second shutter speed???

Anyway, any answer/link/explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Nowire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2005, 4:31 PM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to the forums.

The SD300 does not have a true manual exposure modes (full manual, aperture priority, shutter priority, etc.). Most subcompact models do not have these capabilities.

You can set the shutter speed in the long exposure mode from 15 seconds - 1 second. This feature is used primarily for long exposure night shots using a tripod.

The shutter speeds used in other modes are selected automatically, based on the lighting conditions, focal length (since less light reaches the sensor as more zoom is used), and the aperture the autoexposure algorithms think is appropriate for the conditions.

Now, there are ways to get faster shutter speeds than the autoexposure would use. For example, each time youdouble the ISO speed, the camera can use shutter speeds twice as fast for any given lighting condition and aperture. But, this will be at the expense of increased noise (similar to film grain) if you shoot using higher ISO speed settings.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 4:55 PM   #3

Thank you.

It's a bit clearer now.

I guess I'm getting confused when I read the review (different site I believe) of this camera. There are sample photo's taken with the camera, and they have a setting for each photos. One of the settings is the shutter speed of 1/5000, etc.

So, does that actually mean just the ISO?Say, from Auto to 200 or 400?

Thanks again!
Old Jun 6, 2005, 5:15 PM   #4
Administrator

Nowire wrote:
Quote:
Thank you.

It's a bit clearer now.

I guess I'm getting confused when I read the review (different site I believe) of this camera. There are sample photo's taken with the camera, and they have a setting for each photos. One of the settings is the shutter speed of 1/5000, etc.

So, does that actually mean just the ISO?Say, from Auto to 200 or 400?

Thanks again!
The camera is not capable of 1/5000 second shutter speeds. The fastest shutter speed the autoexposure algorithms can select is 1/1500 second.

But, it's not going to select a 1/1500 second shutter speed unless it needs to for proper exposure of an image.

The shutter speeds the camera can use depend on the lighting conditions, the aperture (and this model has a largest available aperture of f/2.8 at the lens' wide angle position, dropping off to a largest availabel aperture of f/4.9 at full zoom), and ISO Speed.

If the camera tried to use a shutter speed too fast for the lighting conditions, you'd get underexposed photos. If the camera tried to use a shutter speed too slow for the conditions, you'd get overexposed photos.

In better light, the camera is going to keep ISO speeds set low with Auto ISO. Then, probably select a mid-range aperture for reasonable shutter speeds. In low light, it's going to use a larger aperture (smaller f/stop numbers), in order to let the most light in so that shutter speeds are not too slow.

But, as light gets lower, if the aperture is already opened up all the way (f/2.8 at wide angle, dropping off to f/4.9 at full zoom), then the shutter speeds needed for proper exposure will be longer, unless ISO speed is increased. Auto ISO probably bumps it up to around ISO 200 in low light (probably no higher, since noise increases with ISO speed). You can set it to ISO 400 and get faster shutter speeds (to a point).

See this online exposure calculator to see how lighting, ISO speed (shown as film speed with this calculator), and aperture impact the shutter speeds needed for proper exposure of an image:

http://www.robert-barrett.com/photo/...alculator.html

But, you can't set things like shutter speed and aperture with this model (other than it's long exposure mode). You'll need to rely on the camera's autoexposure algorithms to pick the appropriate settings for the scene (although you can influence what it selects by manually selecting a higher ISO speed, or trying to stay closer to the wide angle end of the lens when shooting in lower light, sinceless light reaches the sensor through the lens as more zoom is used).

Even if you could set shutter speed and aperture, it may not help in lower light conditions, since you'd need shutter speeds long enough for proper exposure (otherwise, your photo will beunderexposed/dark if you try to use shutter speeds that aretoo fast, and the camera's autoexposure will already be using the largest available aperture in low light anyway).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 5:40 PM   #5

That camera doesn't have a sport or action mode to maximize the shutter speed for given lighting conditions. A couple of reviewers have pointed out that is odd.

Portrait mode usually opens the lens all the way, but it also changes some of the other settings. You might experiment with that if you want to maximize the shutter speed in normal daylight. In limited light the lens will be all the way open in any case.

If that doesn't work for you, JimC's suggestion to increase the ISO is your best option to increase the shutter speed.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 6:45 PM   #6

Thanks alot guys, I'll give it a try!