Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 8, 2005, 1:34 PM   #1

I am new at the VCD world. I have a Sony Mavica CD500 that is great. I have mpg movies that I would to play on my DVD. Ican get the files on a CD however, the DVD does not read and since learned I need a VCD format. I am looking forhelp - education. I have search the net - tried some shareware - and no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

Peril is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2005, 9:13 PM   #2

Are you sure your camera produces VCD-compliant MPEGs?

What have you tried so far?

S1Artiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 8:34 AM   #3

I did double check the owners manual and it does state " You can create Video CDs using commercially avaible CD-r. For details, see the 'ImageMixer' help files. However using ImageMixer, I have no success. I was able to create a CD-R but the CD had multiple directiores and my DVR did not read it. I am havea GoVideo DVR4000 which is VCD compliant.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 7:43 PM   #4

I've never used the software you mentioned. You could check out the trial version of VCDEasy (do a search) and see if you get anywhere. Many of the CD burning apps, such as NERO- which I recommend, have a pretty basic (ie. easy to work with) module for authoring a VCD. You drag and drop your mpegs and if they're compliant it will author the disk in such a way that your DVD player will recognize it as a VCD.

Old Jun 14, 2005, 9:17 PM   #5

Good Evening. I did try VCD Easy. It seemed to work well and I had a disc with multiple directories. VCD Built the disc but my DVD could not read the disc and I could not bring up the menu. So I am at a loss. I also tried TMPGEnc trial version. This software told me the MPG files were too large 640x 480 instead of 320 x 240. So that was a no go. I will look at the other software you mentioned.

Have a good evening!
Old Jun 15, 2005, 8:08 AM   #6

The software is right, your mpeg isn't strictly VCD-compliant. There are some DVD players out there, though, that can play such things, even though they're not really supposed to.

I think your real problem is your DVD player. It's reported to be very picky about the kind of CDR's it will read and play.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers....&#comments

Old Jun 15, 2005, 9:43 PM   #7

Thanks. I will double check all my numbers again. I thought when I double checked the owners manual it stated VCD.

Thanks for insight and post my findings.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 1:12 PM   #8

Finally got back and worked more research. The operations manul does say the dvr/vhs will play VCD. However, after searching more and more I found info below from the Go-Video web site.

DVD+VCR Combo

I have a DVR4000 and I can't seem to play VCDs.

If you created the VCD, it is probably on a CD-R or CD-RW. The DVR4000 can play VCD's that are professionally mastered. The DVR4000 cannot play CD-R or CD-RW media.

Such a disappointment for me. The combo is not yet 4 years old, my MAVCIA only two and I really wanted to create VCD to share with relatives with DVD. Now I have no way to test out what was made.

Can you tell me if (I know this is a general statement) any DVD bought today is normally VCD compatible?

Something else to research. Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 9:00 PM   #9

There's no requirement for DVD players to be VCD-compatible, so it's actually kind of hit and miss. Used to be that the cheap off-brand (Apex, etc.) players were more likely to play lots of different formats, but not even that is completely true anymore. DVD-R's are getting awful cheap now, and so are DVD writer drives, so that trend may continue because people playing with home video can make DVDs now and they're a lot more generally compatible with different players than VCDs.

If I had to make a recommendation, I'd pick this one:

http://www.pioneer.com.sg/storefront...;CatId=64,7,11

Plays about anything you could throw at it and a lot better quality machine than your typical low-end stuff. Walmart retail stores used to sell it, but as of a few months ago, they were getting hard to find.

Otherwise, start here:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers....Top+User+Rated

Old Jun 26, 2005, 9:11 PM   #10

Hi

Thanks for the info on the pioneer. This is a hobby for me and I did learn in search for a possible replacement of the DVD I have - many many choices. The Pioneer does look interesting. So I will be off on the drawing board studying.

Have a Great Week!