Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 31, 2002, 7:53 PM   #1

Default wildlife cameras

Hi to all
I have had some experiance with 35mm SLR cameras but I would now like to go digital and the main use is for wildlife photos. probably lots of long distance shots in early morning or late afternoon in woodlands and valleys in less than ideal light. My budget is around $1500 usd. What camera and lens would you suggest. thanks for any help.
tony.
tony308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2003, 12:11 PM   #2

Tony,
Olympus 460Z, 1.3 mega, 3x Optical, about $175..... Wild Enough?
Gary

http://www.pbase.com/image/4924307
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2003, 12:19 PM   #3
lg

Tony, I'd suggest getting a refurbished Olympus C-2100. It is a 2.1MP camera with a 10x stabilized zoom (38-380mm SLR equivalent, f2.8-3.5). This camera has the same look and feel as a 35mm SLR. Adding a B-300 1.7x teleconverter will give you a 17x stabilized optical zoom, or the equivalent of a 646mm zoom lens that will work well in low light conditions. You'll need a 49-55 step-up ring to attach the teleconverter to the camera.

I believe you will be hard pressed to find another camera and lens combination that will provide a sharper or clearer image at that focal length. On a good day on eBay, you should be able to get both for about $600.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2003, 3:58 PM   #4

The other option is to get a camera that can accept a spotting 'scope attachment, such as the Nikon CoolPix 4500.
Check out this Website:

http://digiscopingukbirds.homestead.com/
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 2:54 PM   #5

I agree with MentorRon. I use the CP4500 myself and I'm very happy with the results.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2003, 4:56 AM   #6

thanks to everyone for all the help. one question though, does this mean you take the lens of the camera and use the spotting scope as the lens or do you use both together?
tony308
tony308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2003, 1:45 PM   #7

Tony308

There is a forum here for "digiscoping" (way down at the bottom of the list.) That is the term invented for when you attach a (usually digital) camera to a spotting scope. One of the best places for starting information is:
http://www.digiscopingukbirds.homestead.com/

The left side buttons lead you to areas about the basics and equipment used by Andy. He also posts to the forum here a bit. I don't have the equipment yet, but from the pictures (and using a scope with my eyes) it allows for pictures which you really couldn't get without spending a lot more money on seriously huge lenses.

Although this would make digiscoping harder, if you already have a good set of lenses for your 35mm SLR, you could consider something like a Nikon D1/D100/... style of digital SLR. Then you could continue to use all those lenses. Of course, a quick look on BHphoto.com (high price, good store) shows the D100 is $2000 and the newer D1 family cameras are even more. I thought the D100 was closer to your price range. Ebay shows a D1 for that price range, though. I like BHPhoto, but you can get better prices elsewhere.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2003, 6:21 AM   #8

If you have around 1500 bucks - why not go for the CP5700 and the tc-E15ED, which give you a range of 420mm ! You could also try one of the Minolta 7 series and get a teleconverter too!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2003, 11:10 PM   #9

Klaus DK

Using the 5700 and the TC-E15ED for wildlife photography is something I'm very interested in. What do you think of the combination? Do you like the quality of that TC? Does the camera's internal processing deal well with it? (more noise? lower light effect the autofocus?)

I'd ask if you think 420mm is enough "reach" but that has a lot to do with what you are taking pictures of and you style... so your answer is probably not easily transferable to me. (but I'd be interested anyways.) 1.5x TC just doesn't seem like it would be enough, but I'm used to birding with 8.5X wide field binocs and what I've seen of 400mm on an SLR didn't match it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2003, 9:50 AM   #10

Eric...

Quote:
Using the 5700 and the TC-E15ED for wildlife photography is something I'm very interested in. What do you think of the combination? Do you like the quality of that TC? Does the camera's internal processing deal well with it? (more noise? lower light effect the autofocus?)
Great quality (for a TC) as always with Nikonproducts.
Yes nice processing - cant feel/see the difference, but the theres is a cut in the aperture/speed. Ofcourse as with every TC.

The TC is not enough for wildlifte shot af i.e long distance object. And certainly not for your need I'm sure.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote