Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 1, 2003, 8:25 AM   #1

Default IBM memory cards

I'm looking at buying an IBM 1 gig microdrive for my Fuji s602 any suggestions where to find a new one for a great price?
stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2003, 9:12 AM   #2
NHL

There's several links below:

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5060
NHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2003, 9:14 AM   #3

Might want to research more. with the cards getting big and going to 8 gig in future will not be much longer before the micro drives are in the bargain section real cheap.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2003, 9:20 AM   #4
NHL

They got to change the 2G limit of the DCF first! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old Jan 1, 2003, 10:18 AM   #5

As long as the microdrives are being sold, they will always be a fair bit cheaper than solid state memory - otherwise no one will buy them. I have a 1G microdrive and the 340M one that came with my Casio 3000. Love them - couldn't afford that amount of CF memory.

The only problem I've found with the MDs is that they slow down as the drive gets near full. I suspect they will slow down if you delete selected pictures - there is no defrag software in the camera. (Is there the same problem with CF?)
Quote:
I'm looking at buying an IBM 1 gig microdrive for my Fuji s602 any suggestions where to find a new one for a great price?
Back to the original question: check out the advertisers here. I found my 1G drive via the advert on the front page of http://www.imaging-resource.com/ - the current price is $229. White-box price, which is a split of the IBM package of 20(?) drives meant to be sold to folks like newspapers to outfit their cameras, PDAs, ....

IBM (http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/salesinfo/online.htm) has a list of on-line retailers. One is the same as Imaging-Resource's link.

I think it is worthwhile clicking through the adverts at the sites you like to visit when you go shopping.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2003, 11:11 AM   #6

Default Thanks

Thanks for the help from a rank ametuer.
stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 4:30 PM   #7
NHL

Quote:
The only problem I've found with the MDs is that they slow down as the drive gets near full. I suspect they will slow down if you delete selected pictures - there is no defrag software in the camera. (Is there the same problem with CF?)
Don't know, since my biggest CF is 256Mb, but my speculation is that it should be the same since the CF standard is based on a miniaturized PCMCIA standard with the same IDE hardisk handshaking and protocol. Instead of platters and sectors, we have pages and blocks with the same logical to physical mapping that the controller/firmware will have to perform wether solid state or rotating media, if any the solid state flash will be much slower in the write department!

I always download the whole thing and format the drives... isn't the idea of getting the microdrives is that one does not have to review and delete the pictures in the first place since the amount of storage is so plentiful?

BTW when getting the 'white box' I recommend getting the bundled PC card adapter as well since they are very hard to find. Most the ones at the local stores can not fit the microdrives (type-II), and one will be hard press to use the microdrive in the laptop or the MindStors...
Old Jan 2, 2003, 10:39 PM   #8

Quote:
I always download the whole thing and format the drives... isn't the idea of getting the microdrives is that one does not have to review and delete the pictures in the first place since the amount of storage is so plentiful?
I do exactly the same - I don't want to spend my time squinting at a little LCD deciding which picture to delete.

The more I think about it, the less sure I am that the "slow when near full" effect is the microdrive or my camera. The Casio 3000 creates thumbnails and will creat HTML pages with all the EXIF data. I turned off the HTML creation because that really slows down on power off as it rewrites the whole page.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote