Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 10, 2005, 1:01 AM   #1

I'm new to the digital world ( just got D70) and looking for advice in 2 areas:

1) software: do I need Photoshop? My Nikon comes with PictureProject. If I'm not planning on doing major editing, do I need anything more?

2) where can i learn some basics about digital photography? I'm pretty good in auto mode, but would like to understand more.

Thanks!
JLGas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2005, 5:15 AM   #2

Photoshop is a great tool which allows you to do a lot more with your pictures than Picture Project. You don't need it but something other than the Nikon software is worth having.

Nikon View is a free download from the Nikon website and IMHO much better than Picture Project.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 7:14 AM   #3

Editing Software:

One of the other benefits to using Photoshop is there are a LOT of people using it - so there is help everywhere - lots of books, websites etc. You can get photoshop Elements for $99 - it's a very good investment.

Books: A local library is a great place to start. Even older books that were written for film still apply - exposure is exposure - your DSLR has ISO, aperture, shutter speed, exposure compensation just like a film DSLR. A solid understanding of how those 4 factors work will go a long way to getting you out of auto mode on the camera. Once you start to understand those concepts start using your histogram on your camera - it is one of the greatest benefits of digital over film. The picture on any camera LCD is often too small to be of great use for checking exposure - the histogram on the other hand is great for that. Here is a link that should prove beneficial in understanding the histogram

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...stograms.shtml
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 10:28 AM   #4

I can vouch for Elements. I have version 3 and love it.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 1:27 AM   #5

Photoshop Elements is great and inexpensive. Elements 3 is new and offers a number of features over Elements 2, but both are good, and the earlier version will be less expensive (50 - 70 dollars). Heck of a price for what you get. The learning curve is a little brutal though, but your time will be well spent.

Lots of good places to learn about stuff. Here is one, ask away and many are here to help. Many books out there on photography and digital photography. I really like PC Photo magazing - they have lots of articles for new users and all kinds of more advanced stuff to keep experienced users interested. The more you read, the more you will learn.

www.ericspix.com
ericsvendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 1:02 AM   #6

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
I agree Elements is a very very good investment. I have used Elements 2 and 3 and love them both. Note that 3 has a very great organizer so that you can easily view your photos. I now use CS2 and love that as well, but for $500 I would stick to elements.:G

Code:
13 years old with a Canon Digital Rebal (300D for the slower mind), 28-80mm Canon Lens, and Sigma 70-300mm Lens on the way!
Geeek204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 1:03 AM   #7

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
I agree Elements is a very very good investment. I have used Elements 2 and 3 and love them both. Note that 3 has a very great organizer so that you can easily view your photos. I now use CS2 and love that as well, but for $500 I would stick to elements.:G

Code:
13 years old with a Canon Digital Rebal (300D for the slower mind), 28-80mm Canon Lens, and Sigma 70-300mm Lens on the way!
Old Jun 22, 2005, 1:03 AM   #8

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:

Code:
Old Jun 22, 2005, 1:11 AM   #9

woops, something a little wrong happened here. srry about the three posts
Old Jun 22, 2005, 11:10 AM   #10

Use the software that comes with your camera until you want to do something that it cannot do.

PhotoShop is the most powerfull photo editing software, but it is likely to be overkill for your next step - both in price and difficulty. Elements does have a good reputaion, but I would suggest looking at other software as well. PaintShop Pro for one.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote