Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 2, 2003, 7:02 PM   #11

i am with voxmagna on this one: let the techno-gather maniacs absorb the R&D costs; when my camera no longer shoots, and i can justify the upgrade, i will get the next better one, but keep the old one. I did that with my first sony mavica: I shoot with my oly 5050, but at downtown night shoots i bring my mavica as a defense weapon :lol:
enjoy the shooting-not only the equipment :!: :!: :!:
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2003, 1:43 AM   #12

All I have to say on this is If the cd writing is any where near as slow as the writing for 1.44 floppys, STAY AWAY!! My friend has one that uses 1.44 and it takes forever to record the pic. Also, if I were you, I'd avoid anything that uses memory stick or sm, as they have low max storage capacity and I personally don't trust that those higher capacity mem sticks sony has promised will come out as long as they can sell the low capacity well (I even read somewhere that the higher capacity higher speed ones sony is coming out with may not even support their current mem stick using products). Also, memory sticks are used almost exclusively by sony, which means that if you want to use the storage for other devices (i.e.) mp3 players, pdas or future cameras, you must buy sony. I'd suggest xd or cf, because cf is widely used and you can buy an adapter to use xd in cf devices if ever you decide to switch to a cf camera or use xd in cf electronics.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2003, 2:54 AM   #13

Quote:
or sm, as they have low max storage capacity
I would agree with sticks which are a bit proprietary. But what's wrong with 128Mb SM, when you can get over 100 3Mpix low compressed 1Mb images and short 30fps movies and sound quickly and reliably on a card from any oem vendor, with media at falling prices?

Buy memory with the cam you like today with sufficient media for tomorrow. By then, you'll be replacing your old cam with new and new media, if you're an average shooter. If you're a investing a lot in daily media consumption, I agree answers might be different.

If you're thinking, yes but what about uncompressed, the likelyhood is, the cam might do it, but it's too slow for everyday use.

Notice the new Fuji 3800 xD published cam spec is 16Mb to 128? Will it work then just as quick and reliable with those yet to be made 6Gb cards?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2003, 7:39 AM   #14

Think about portability. One of the benefits of most digicams is that (compared to the average SLR) they are small and light.

Those Sony babies are BIG!

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2003, 6:01 AM   #15

AND....I'll bet those cams are real thirsty on juice!
Old Jan 5, 2003, 9:51 AM   #16

Quote:
But what's wrong with 128Mb SM, when you can get over 100 3Mpix low compressed
As with almost everything in photography, it depends on what you are doing. Shooting panoramas with 12 shoots/pan that means 8 panos/128Mb. Less if you include a shot of a gray card with each pano.

Also when shooting in low light without flash (parties, meetings, ...), I figure on only about one in four working because of movement. Quarter second shots. That brings the total down to 25 usable shots.

And of course the number goes down with increased resolution.

Not a fatal flaw, but a bigger chunk of memory is really nice to have. I am happier with a 1Gb microdrive than I am with 340Mb. I could live with 128Mb, but I'd rather not.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2003, 6:57 PM   #17

Yep Bill, I'd like a microdrive to and skip the CF compatibility/speed probs.

When I checked out UK sites last week, with tax they wanted about 200.00 Some vendors are hard selling at about 150.00 BUT the catch is no travel pack - and I reckon that's worth having.
Old Jan 6, 2003, 6:24 AM   #18
NHL

Quote:
BUT the catch is no travel pack - and I reckon that's worth having.
voxmagna

I don't know what a travel pack translate to, but the bundle PC-card adapter is worth having... This PCMCIA adapter is special (ie open on both side) and have a moving sleeve that exposed the pins when the microdrive is inserted. My first microdrive come with it, but subsequent ones didn't and I have a very hard time finding one that would work with the CF-II microdrive! (ie the adapter are closed on 1 side).

They are a must for downloading to laptops or the like on the MindStors... BTW dowloading this way to a laptop is the fastest!!! I saved MPEG-2 test bitstream @ work this way and a fast flash card usually taked twice as long.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2003, 7:46 AM   #19

In UK the lowest price is bare drive only, suspect they split up a bulk pack of 10 or 20. The 'Travel Pack' comes with laptop pcmcia interface adaptor, read here probably you, this was something difficult to buy as an addon afterwards. I already have a 4in1 reader, so the laptop interface is essential.

Do you know if the pcmcia is Type 1/11? I can't handle the newish heavy weight high speed pcmcia cards in my older P120 laptop.

I'll carry on watching prices for a while longer. Thanks.
Old Jan 6, 2003, 8:45 AM   #20
NHL

It's type I/II, the lower slot always take both! It's the type III the thick hardrive type that most laptops are having problem with.

I don't have any problem putting the PCMCIA/Microdrive in either slots of any laptop.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote