Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 1, 2003, 6:22 PM   #1

Default Memory

I am researching digital cameras. I know I want to get at least 4 megapixels. I think i understand resolution, printing, etc. but could use some advice regarding the different types of memory in terms of cost, performance, flexibility, etc. We plan on taking an extended trip later this year and hope to take many photographs and probably some motion clips. Sony has a camera that uses a CD-R as the storage medium. From my understanding so far, I would be best buying multiple units of memory and/or travel with some device where I can periodically download and edit my photographs. It seems that a CD-R direct storage capability provides the most flexibility at the least cost (do not need other peripherals, docking stations, etc. and the medium itself is very inexpensive). Is my thinking correct? What are the downsides? Thanks

jc1849
jc1849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2003, 7:18 PM   #2

In the same way you don't want to shake a cd/dvd burner while it's recording (to avoid errors in the recording), those cameras have to be handled with more care than say a camera using solid state memory or a microdrive for example. And then you have to buy media whenever you run out of space in the discs. Unless it uses cd-rw technology, but still limited to around 150MB or so for the 8cm discs. And the image recording is not all that fast either... some cameras that use different medias might actually write slower than say an 8x cd-r/rw, but the solid state has more potential (as seen in pro cameras that write at 20x and faster, "x" being 150KB/s) and uses less battery power. Those are the downsides I see with cd-r/rw based cameras.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 12:10 AM   #3

jc1849
Sony, those good people who brought us the Betamax, 1.44 floppy digicam (take extra suitcase for floppies), the memory stick and now the CD-R digacam. My understanding is that these cams are partial to sony brand CD-R. Some food for thought as everyone is up in arms about SM card future, Notice lately how fast the gap in price is closing between CD and DVD drives, CD burners and DVD burners and blank CD's - blank DVD discs. Bet in a couple of years CD will be dying a quite death.
If you got the bucks a laptop to travel with you to keep camera media empty.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 7:54 AM   #4

Go for the laptop, I use mine now as my image sink and photo-album, with VGA to TV converter, and it's only a P133!

Quote:
Some food for thought as everyone is up in arms about SM card future
Why all the fuss about media? Buy the best cam you like and can afford and buy all the media you'll need as the price falls. Don't assume the media type and size will transfer to new higher Mpix cams of the future. Since media is re-useable and very price sensitive (downwards!), it isn't your biggest investment, unless it's the latest and biggest xd or microdrive.

In the present climate, a cam with a choice of 2 media options might be smart move. Base your decision on a 3-5 year cam ownership life.

Spend less time worrying and enjoy digital photography today!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 8:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Base your decision on a 3-5 year cam ownership life.

Do we have to keep them that long?
Old Jan 2, 2003, 8:21 AM   #6

Depends where you want to be in the adoption cycle, I prefer to let the innovators spend their money first, I'll come in when the heat has gone out a little. So Gary - keep on spending and I'll get my next cam sooner!
Old Jan 2, 2003, 8:47 AM   #7

voxmagna,
Here on the other side of the big pond we have a saying "when you die whoever has the most toys wins" :shock:
Gary
Old Jan 2, 2003, 9:33 AM   #8

"when you die whoever has the most toys wins"

I would say it this way. When you die whoever has the most toys leaves the most toys to be fought over by the surviors.

I like to wait until late summer to look at any camera upgrade. The new camera releases are announced and the current year model prices start to plummet.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 10:44 AM   #9

Wise move, So it's just like autos then! Every year in UK when new plates came out, there was a frantic rush to buy. If it wasn't for people buying the new models when they first come out, we wouldn't get the 1 and 2 year old 'bargains' with the depreciation paid for!

Don't think I'll be worrying about what my survivors will be fighting over, this is only a big prob. for those early adopters buying the latest cams with highest residual value at the time of departure!
Old Jan 2, 2003, 4:18 PM   #10

Go with something that writes to flash memory. Avoid the CD-R cameras from Sony, as they don't write very quickly when saving. Since you are looking at 4.0 MP camera, I would personally avoid a camera that *only* did SM. If you are shooting at top quality, you won't be able to cram that many pictures on a 128 MB SM card (the largest size available for SM)
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote