Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 13, 2005, 3:19 AM   #1

I feel like a complete dummy here, but I have to ask just to have some closure in my mind. What does the "Wide Zoom" descriptor mean in some Olympus model names? Does it mean it's a wide angle lens + zoom? So will I be generally stuck with a long depth of field more suitable for landscape shotsrather than shallow unless I zoom in, or get close to the subject?

Thanks!
jenikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2005, 5:31 AM   #2

It means a slightly wider angle of view at the widest setting on the zoom. It probably also means that the telephoto end of the lens is slightly shorter than similar zooms. If you by a comapct digicam you'll find you have long depth of field at all focal length. The sensors are small and the lenses are very short focal lengths so you get a large depth of field even on telephoto shots.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 10:50 PM   #3

You should be able to change the depth of field with the aperture control. Also the sensor size of the camera has a lot to do with it. Smaller sensors have greater depth of field.

jenikat wrote:
Quote:
So will I be generally stuck with a long depth of field more suitable for landscape shotsrather than shallow unless I zoom in, or get close to the subject?
BruceMcL is offline   Reply With Quote