Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 2, 2003, 9:53 AM   #1

Default 4MP 1st time buyer confusion

After much research and hands on testing, I've narrowed it down to the Sony DSC-P9 and Minolta Dimage F100...I feel that I would be happy with either one, but just wanted to see if anyone had any strong objections to either of these choices...Thanks!
imr5191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2003, 10:29 AM   #2

Default Another suggestion

After you have made you choices, someone comes along and makes another suggestion: Try the Canon S45. Very similar and has the best reviews. Full automatic or manual controls for apature/shutter/iso/ white balance/focus. Has low light focus lamp and noise reduction for longer shutter times.
But here are the differences I noted about the 2 you are selecting from:
F100- no low light focus assist (minus)
Takes AA batteries (big plus)
Slower shot to shot (minus) fast focus but lots of shutter lag.
Iso 800 available

Sony: low light focus assist lamp
Faster focusing
No aperture or shutter controls/auto only.

And the Canon S45:
Has full manual controls for aperture shutter and focus white balance
Fast focus and shoot
Takes cheap and readily available compact flash cards
Low light focus assist lamp
Its a little larger, not much, than the ones youre looking at.
Just my observations, I'm far from an expert on anything.
serpa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 2:40 PM   #3

---
Old Jan 2, 2003, 3:38 PM   #4

499 New retail box from ebay via "buy it now". I believe I've seen it for $450 by doing internet searches.
Old Jan 3, 2003, 4:06 PM   #5

Default 4MP 1st time buyer confusion

Ok...after much research and far too much obsessing about a camera (what would I do if I had a real emergency?) I had narrowed my search down to Sony DSC-P9 and Minolta F100. Of course, the Canon Powershot S45 was suggested by several people...the camera looks great - solid reviews, compact size - a bit heavier than I originally wanted, but that is ok...

I have seen mixed reviews on my Minolta & Sony choices, but I know that everyone has an opinion and it really is personal preference...What I want to know is...for a new digicam owner who has historically been a very casual 35mm point & shoot photographer, is the Canon S45 too much of a camera for me or is it better to buy "more of a camera and grow into it"? Would I be better off with the Sony or Minolta?

Thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2003, 5:48 PM   #6

imr5191

I would get as much camera as I could within my budget straints. If the Canon is in your budget then go for it. You may never use the extras but then what if you do.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2003, 12:15 PM   #7

Get as much as you can afford, but not more. You will always need a second battery and larger memory card. So save some for that. Its always a pain to "want" something better after a couple/few months. You'll loose some when you try to sell a used camera. Check out
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons45/
The review on the S45 has several comparisons to the DSC-9 and the F100 in the same review.
P.s. Don't go broke on your chioce of cameras though, only get what you can afford, but use the provided link to compare the ones you are choosing between. Yes the S45 is also larger, slightly then the ones your considering, and sometimes that is a bigger consideration than others. If youre not carring the camera around, youre not using it--smaller is nicer.