Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 2, 2003, 12:20 PM   #1

Default Is 2-3 megapixels old technology?

I am in the process of buying my first digital camera and am looking at the Fuji Finepix 2800. While I know that it is an excellent camera is it outdated at 2.0 megapixels? I know that there are still tonnes of cameras on the market with 2-3 mp, bowever, there also seems to be more and more coming out with 4 and 5mp.

Is 2.0 still adequate for the casual photographer or is it rapidly becoming old technology? I'd hate to see the 4-5 megapixel cameras drop in price to the current levels of the 2.0 cameras after I've purchased mine.

blueradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2003, 12:53 PM   #2

A good 2 MP camera will meet your needs as a "casual photographer" for small prints. I make nice 8 X 10's with a 2.6 MP Canon Powershot Pro90IS. This camera has a big stabalized zoom lens, and as long as I don't crop a picture too much, I get great results.

Don't get caught up in the "Megapixel Wars". There are lots of other factors to consider, like the lens, how the camera feels, etc.

If you worry about the cost of new technology dropping, you'll never buy a new digital camera (or computer, for that matter). Just do your research, buy a decent camera and don't look at the prices after you buy one.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 12:55 PM   #3

IMHO, it really just depends on if you are planning to print your photos any larger than about 64.

I am using a 2MP camera at the moment, but because I never print my photos and only view them on monitors it is more than enough resolution for me. I am upgrading soon, but only to a 3MP camera becuase I am more interested in features than resolution.

As for your comment on prices dropping, I'm afraid this will always happen in the electronics world, you just have to accept it. In time (maybe 12-18 months) 4-5MP cameras will drop to the current prices of 2-3MP ones.
Eddie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 2:21 PM   #4

Default Re: Is 2-3 megapixels old technology?

[quote="blueradish"]I am in the process of buying my first digital camera and am looking at the Fuji Finepix 2800.

You may want to look at fuji 3800, just hit the streets in October. Can be had for $350.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 2:28 PM   #5

A comfy tried and tested cam at 2-3Mpix to do general shots, might mean you get more pics and pleasure than handling a more featured cam which needs learning and therefore has pitfalls to enable bad shots.

If you wait a year, you might get more MPIX for money, possibly lower light and better flash performance we all moan about, but on a 6x4 print or monitor, don't expect to justify the $$'s per MPIX.

If you're looking at 2-3 MPIX, look for best lens/sensitivity you can afford, even consider a used cam. 'Cos a really good sensitive 2Mpix with decent lens will likely cover more variable scenes better, than a small compact 3-4Mpix.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 5:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie J
IMHO, it really just depends on if you are planning to print your photos any larger than about 64.

I am using a 2MP camera at the moment, but because I never print my photos and only view them on monitors it is more than enough resolution for me. .
Exactly. If you intend to print, no larger than 4x6, (or intend to do just email and web) 2.0 MP is plenty of resoultion. However, you'll probably notice that if you want more features and control, you *may* have to jump up to a 3 or 4 MP camera.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 6:09 PM   #7

2-3 mp ccd technology is essential the same as the 4-5 mp ccd technoloy of the newer cameras. The camera that you buy will lose value over a period of time but that does not mean the camera will be worthless. My son uses my Olympus D490z and it still takes great pics. It will print good 5X7 photos. It was a 2mp camera. The newer 5mp cameras have many more features and advances over the early models. It is easier to market larger mp in the newer cameras than it would be to market the improvements in other areas. A good 2mp or 3mp camera will provide excellent photos and prints. Olympus is selling the new C4000 for around $400 on the web. This same camera has a recommended price of $500.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote