Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 3, 2003, 1:56 PM   #1

Default Newbie w/ Win 98 & CP4300

I just purchased a Nikon CP 4300. It's my first DC. I'm running an Athlon K2 at 533mhz and have 320mb ram. Also running Windows 98. The software calls for 98 SE or newer. I tried it anyway and (guess what?) it doesn't work. I called Nikon and and they suggested getting a card reader. I spoke with my techie brother and he didn't recommend going to 98 SE because of the processor demands. I guess a new computer would solve my problems, but... How fast of a processor would you recommend if I do take the plunge? Thoughts?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tom Dugan
Tom Dugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2003, 3:15 PM   #2

I'm running W98SE on a DX66 souped to 133Mhz with 128MB ram and that's OK for downloading, pre-viewing but not intensive effects rendering in a photo editor. If you choose a lightweight editor like ACDsee or Ulead PhotoIMpact, they're not so memory thirsty on startup like PS. I'm also running W98SE on a P120 laptop! - that's slow with 24Mb ram!

I think compared to some here, you probably have the basis for a respectable machine, so why not sort out your usb connection problem - you've got nothing to lose. Check with your brother if there are any recent BIOS upgrades for your motherboard from their website.

Make sure you can get another USB device working on your machine, and come back with more info on the problem for help. It's not clear whether it's W98SE you have the prob. with, or the cam software. On your machine, I'd even consider Win2K OS., but 98SE should be fine.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 9:34 PM   #3

Tom Dugan,
Go with WINME, very stable, can use alot more memory than 98, much more USB friendly than 98SE and never asks for you to "insert 98 disk". The K2 533 has plenty of power and will run smoother and quicker with all that RAM you have that 98 does not know what to do with. Tell brother not to quit day job.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 10:17 PM   #4

I'm a dangerous techie: know barely enough to screw things up. Is it possible to go from 98 to ME? Is it a big hassle or is it just buying and installing it? Thanks for addressing my stupid questions.
Tom Dugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2003, 12:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Dugan
Thanks for addressing my stupid questions.
A wise man always asks and never says "I know that".
Glad to help.

On your question about CPU, got a magazine lying around with an article title PIII-500 why? seems like around 98-early 99 timeframe they thought it was more than we would ever need. was in one of the top 2 mags.
Old Jan 4, 2003, 12:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
I'm also running W98SE on a P120 laptop! - that's slow with 24Mb ram!
If your laptop can handle 32 meg of mem thats what 98SE needs to run OK, 64 to perform like it shoud. MS says 24 min. Saw one with 16, turn on make pot of coffee, have cup, go see if its finished loading.

The ol 486 DX66, think the DX4-100 was suppose to be about equal to a P-62 performance, bit faster than the P-60. you should be about at P-75. did you boost with overdrive?
Gary
Old Jan 4, 2003, 4:19 AM   #7

Yes, but clever move on the DX architecture at the time. It's got the AMD 133 overdrive, but also has 32bit local bus, with dedicated cpu HD cache and SVGA card, so altogether runs like a P100. with light CPU load. Still not fast enough for lots of big file editing and multi-tasking though. Think it's about 8 years old - wifes machine now!

Since I put a big cheap quick HD in the old laptop and pcmcia SD reader, it works ok as a photo album, running slideshows at 3 second refresh and for cam downloads on the road. Can't up the mem. sadly it's a COMPAQ!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2003, 2:51 PM   #8

Power wise u actually shud have enuf power on that comp to run Win98 SE. Please DONT switch to WinME. If it doesnt install properly, then u have the MOST bug filled system possible. WinME is not better than 98SE, its the same filled with more MS crap. IF u are going to buy a new computer then load it up with either WinXP, Win 2000Pro, Win98SE or Linux.

For a new computer, min. specs are prolly:

Athlon XP 1600+
256mb DDR SDRAM(more is always better!)
40GB HDD
CDRW drive...(choose ur speed)

+ teh cheapest motherboard, that supports all this, i recommend the ECS K7S5A

PS...Have u cheked drivers?
Athlon_Rulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2003, 4:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlon_Rulz
. Please DONT switch to WinME. If it doesnt install properly, then u have the MOST bug filled system possible. WinME is not better than 98SE,
There is a little more to properly updateing OS then just the windows install.
With AMD CPU on MB with via chipset you 1st download and save 4 in1 drivers for ME, than DL video drivers, modem drivers.

after windows install, then 4 in 1 , video, audio, modem.

then online and do windows updates

Then you have rock solid smooth, and faster running computer, 98/98SE are junk, slow and not USB friendly.
Gary
Old Jan 4, 2003, 5:53 PM   #10

Actually, WinME even if "installed" properly, has proven buggy for many users. It seems u lucked out(as did I when i had it). BUT WinME is in NO way rock solid. I suggest u try out Win2k Pro.

Also, i suggest u reformat b4 u install an OS, and fresh install always
Athlon_Rulz is offline   Reply With Quote