Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 3, 2003, 5:57 PM   #1

Default Vivitar Vivicam 3315 driver install help

I am having a problem getting the Vivitar Vivicam 3315 disk drive to install. When I put in either of the two software disks that came with the camera, the Setup menu opens. I click on Install USB Driver. The driver then supposedly installs, and I am told to restart my computer.

However, when I restart and go to My Computer to find the Removable Disk Drive icon (as the manual instructs), it is not there. And I can not find it anywhere else on the PC.

The camera's serial number is: DD029728S, and I have Win98, if that means anything.

If anyone could help me figure out what my problem is...I'd greatly appreciate it. This is my second unsuccessful attempt with a digital camera since Christmas (the one I got then didn't have a flash and I couldn't take photos indoors).
Ashdrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2003, 9:21 PM   #2

Ashdrea,
1. win98does not do that great with USB.

2. If older computer andhave never used a USB device before, USB may be not enabled in the BIOS. Most systems built in the 90's where that way from factory.

3. If you have used USB before and are using a previosly used port that can be problem.

4. USB device and software MUST be introduced to system exactally in order specified by manuel or will not work when doing iniatal setup.

5. If your system has at least 40 meg of ram try to find copy of winme, 1st version of windows that is USB friendly.

6. chech vivatar site for updates drivers.

7. if install was done out of sequence try to find and unstall all software before reattempt.

8. would just suggest to get $10 USB card reader but the USB games will continue until windows is upgraded.

Good Luck,
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 9:46 PM   #3

Hm...the USB cable and all worked fine with the last camera I had, so I don't think that that is the problem. How would I change the previously used port if that were the problem?

The manual had VERY unclear instructions, it didn't even say which of the two software CDs to use. However, the Install USB Driver was an option on both of them, and neither installation resulted in anything that I could see.

There weren't any instructions as to when to install the editing, etc. software, before or after the USB port.

Would any of those problems cause the driver to just not be there in My Computer, when it says it is installed, and also says that it should be located in My Computer? I'm assuming that Install USB Port is what is supposed to make Removable Disk Drive appear in My Computer.

Sorry for so many questions, I've just really been at a complete loss as to how to make this work, especially after I had such an easy time of installation my first go around.
Old Jan 3, 2003, 9:59 PM   #4

USB port #1 closest to side of computer should be resereved for USB printer, you should come out of port #2 (just right of #1) with USB powered hub with 4 or 7 ports. If you are going to use a previously used port best to properly uninstall hardware previously used in that port.
should show up as drive, check cd's that came with for manuel or read me file.

Gary
Old Jan 4, 2003, 12:08 PM   #5

There is only one USB port on the back of my laptop. So, it has been used before, with the last camera I had. I can't find anything else on my computer to uninstall that pertains to that camera though. Do you know where anything would be located that needs to be uninstalled, having to do with the USB port?
And also, I don't know anyone who has WinME...
Old Jan 4, 2003, 12:39 PM   #6

Did you unstall drivers/software of last camera? you should come out of the 1 usb with powered hub. to get xtra slots. let me check on drivers., will get back to you.
Gary
Old Jan 4, 2003, 12:44 PM   #7

drivers and manuel may be down loaded from here.
Gary

http://www.vivitar.com/CustService/driverindex.html

Make sure within the camera settings usb config set to disk drive not sielent video.

Make sure software installed and reboot before connecting cam to computer 1st tims.
Gary
Old Jan 4, 2003, 1:00 PM   #8

Thank you, but I have already tried downloading the driver from there. It also did not work. Maybe because the instructions do not mention what to do if the serial number ends in S instead of C (like mine does), or I don't know.

I think I'm just fighting a hopeless cause with getting this to work...
Old Jan 4, 2003, 1:13 PM   #9

Did you make sure cam set to disk drive? or will show uo as drive.