Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 4, 2003, 2:21 PM   #1

Default A newbe with a digital hangover!

Hi everyone,

I am a former 35mm point and shoot camera user who has recently purchased the Fuji s602. This camera has gotten me so excited about taking pictures that Auto just isn't cutting it anymore. Unfotunatly my understanding of shutter speed, f stop (?), and apeture (among other issues that will just have to wait) is really holding me back. My poor manual has been put through the ringer and I just need more help. Can anyone put some of these things into perspective for me or maybe recommend a website or book? I want to take a photography class, but nothing is offered in our small town and with three kids, getting out isn't the easiest thing.

Thank you all for your time!
futbol mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2003, 2:28 PM   #2

try this,
Gary

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digresources.html
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2003, 5:55 PM   #3

One of the great things about digital cameras is you're not going to waste film fooling around with different settings.

If your camera has a "P" mode, you can start by using that. The camera chooses the apature setteing and exposure time. Look at the EXIF data and see what combinations the camera chose on each picture. The next step is to select apature setting yourself and take some more pictures...

Just play around with the settings till you get the feel of what happens when you change parameters. Can't hurt anything
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2003, 7:03 PM   #4

Start by setting the 602 to AUTO, flip up the flash when indoors, but get fairly close.

You will learn that AUTO is a good start for point and shoot. But it will get things wrong, learn what doesn't work and venture to the other settings starting with 'P' as suggested to get better pics.

Learn about reading EXIF data from your files. That's what you need, to go back over the settings either you set or the cam did to change things next time for better pics.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2003, 9:12 PM   #5

Default Re: A newbe with a digital hangover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol mom
Hi everyone,

I am a former 35mm point and shoot camera user who has recently purchased the Fuji s602. This camera has gotten me so excited about taking pictures that Auto just isn't cutting it anymore. Unfotunatly my understanding of shutter speed, f stop (?), and apeture (among other issues that will just have to wait) is really holding me back.
Shutter speed is lenght of time light will strike the sensor (or the film). The aperature also determines the anount of light. A bigger opening == more light. A smaller opening == less light. Aperature size is measured in f-stops, so aperature/f-stop is really the same thing.

For shutter speed.. Shorter times will be able to better capture motion sharply. Lower times will blur motion. For aperature... At a given focal length, a larger aperature (lower f-stop number) will reault in less depth of field. A smaller aperature (higher f-stop number) yields greater depth of field.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2003, 3:28 AM   #6

Try reading through http://www.shortcourses.com/using/index.htm. Lots of good basic stuff well explained.
Richard Howes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2003, 9:25 AM   #7

As voxmagna said - figure out how to read the EXIF data your camera sticks into each picute. That will tell you the f/stop, shutter speed, focal length, ... used. Much easier than making notes, waiting for film to be delevoped, and hoping you can put the two together.

Do a lot of experimenting. Shoot pictures of that same boring wall with all kinds of settings. In particular, work in "P" mode (auto everything) and ding about with the exposure compensation. With a little bit of reading and watching what happens, you will get the hang of it real quick.

Get some books out of your local library (good place to take the kids). Read the beginers books on photography. Read the clasics by Adams, Weston, ...
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2003, 11:49 AM   #8

Default Right With You!!!

Hi it's Trudy here in Calif. I have four kids and a yellow lab puppy and just ordered the S602. I spent hours - no scratch that - days deciding. I can't wait to get my hands on it. I found free on line classes at www.imaging-resource.com. I haven't had time to try them yet but they looked great!!!
Your post about loving the S602 helped in my decision. I hope it will work great with sports, kids, and of course travel. Have you invested in an external flash yet?
Off to clean up another mess!
Yours in motherhood
Trudy
Trudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2003, 6:28 PM   #9

Hi Trudy,

Thanks for the web site info. I took a quick peek and am hoping to try it after the kids go to bed. I havn't purchased an external flash yet, but I'm working it into the budget!

Hope you enjoy your s602.

Angela
futbol mom is offline   Reply With Quote