Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 26, 2002, 11:57 PM   #1

Default Protected photos

I have seen a discussion on writing a code that pops up an "unable to copy" message when someone right clicks on a photo you have placed on-line. Can anyone direct me to that discussion? Thanks gabrose
gabrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2002, 7:29 AM   #2

Those are Java/JavaScript and don't work to protect your images. Any user can simply turn off their browser's Java, look for the image in their browser's cache, or do a screen capture. Worse than useless.

If you got to www.google.com and enter 'java protect photo "right click"' (without single quotes, with double quotes) you will find all kinds of discussions and info.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2002, 10:55 AM   #3
Administrator

Just use the "view source" option of your browser on any of my recent camera review pages and you'll find that Java script code in the header of the HTML file.

It is not real good protection but it does visually remind people that the images and text on the page are copyrighted works - but of course some people still steal my photos for their eBay ads - and don't give me credit for them. So we have begun visually watermarking all of the primary camera pictures in our reviews. Something I don't like doing but have to do anyway.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2002, 8:20 PM   #4

Thanks all. I have an friend that is interested in that subject and I thought I would find that discussion for him. I have a program that encrypts the photos and so far I haven;t found a way around those to be copied. It works great. My friend also mentioned that others steal his photos from ebay so that must be why he wants to try and deter the practice a little. Thanks again. gabrose
Old Jun 30, 2002, 5:10 PM   #5

The simplest way to stop them from stealing his photos from e-bay is to overprint his name on the photos.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2002, 12:21 AM   #6

Default heh... yeah...

Quote:
Originally posted by steve
Just use the "view source" option of your browser on any of my recent camera review pages and you'll find that Java script code in the header of the HTML file.

It is not real good protection but it does visually remind people that the images and text on the page are copyrighted works - but of course some people still steal my photos for their eBay ads - and don't give me credit for them. So we have begun visually watermarking all of the primary camera pictures in our reviews. Something I don't like doing but have to do anyway.

-Steve
I remember a friend using Java to protect their photos. Viewed the source and BOOM, was able to get the picture...

someone should develop a standard in which the photo was passwod protected USING the password as the decoder (yes it would be encoded). Only "trusted" web servers would have access to it (meaning that you would list exeptions for the web servers using SSL security)

that's what I would do....

just a 5 minute thought...
bmecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2002, 1:35 PM   #7

Thanks all, I have passed the info on and have suggested he watermark his photos. There is a long way to go yet on this internet stuff and we haven't scratched the surface!! gabrose
Old Aug 22, 2002, 6:45 PM   #8
lg

What's the easiest way to watermark your photos that you want to protect? Is there a simple utility program to do that, or do you just have to use a photo editor and do it manually?
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2002, 11:11 AM   #9

I'm interested in what watermarking you're using now. I've looked into digimark but that's not cost effective for me.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2002, 11:30 AM   #10
lg

Default How do YOU watermark photos?

I haven't actually watermarked ANY photos yet. A friend of my was concerned about seeing photos he posted on his commercial website showing up on his competitor's website, and I suggested watermarking his photos would discourage that type of activity.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote