Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 30, 2005, 8:37 PM   #11

Wait...I have a better idea...you use your card reader, and I'll use my USB port and we'll see which wears out first! If the contacts on my USB cable wear out, I'll buy another USB cable ($9.31). If the contacts on my computer's USB port wear out, I'll use one of my computer's other USB ports ($0.00). If the contacts on my camera's USB port wear out, I'll buy a card reader ($20).

If the contacts on your memory card wear out, you'll have to buy another memory card ($70). If the contacts on your card reader wear out, you'll have to buy another card reader ($20). If the contacts on your camera wear out, you'll have to buy another camera ($400).

I still like my way better.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 6:58 AM   #12

No thanks, I prefer to continue as I have been doing. Let's check back in 15 years or so, and by then the contacts should have some significant wear. Hopethe camera's fragile USB port doesn't break in the mean time. Maybe in 15 years, optical cables will replace copper (as they have in digital audio).
logrhythmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 7:51 PM   #13

Go read reports of memory card problems in the forum here and other places: just about all of them say the problem occured as the card was put into the reader or into the camera. Just about all memory problems seem to be caused by taking them in and out of the camera and reader.

Having said that, it should also be noted that memory problems are rare and most folks do seem to use card readers. The most likely situation is that you will get a new camera that needs a new kind of memory card before you have any problems, however you read it.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 10:24 PM   #14

I would recommend a lense cleaning kit.

Specifically one with a bulb and a blower, some lens cloth, and a little lens solution to get the sticky bits off.

Another nice accessory is an external flash.

Okay, while we're at it, get some photo software, like Adobe Elements.

Then you might need a printer. I use an HP inkjet, with top quality HP photo paper and get nice results.

Apaper cutter, to trim up the borders of the photos you've just printed.

Did I mention a tripod?

It really is a cheap hobby, considering.

- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 10:38 AM   #15

I use an ATP 1GB and a Sandisk UltraII 512 MB, rarely do I change cards since at max res the card takes 620 pics(always at max resolution).

I love the fact that the camera is smart enough to make a new folder with todays date and transfer pics automatically, as soon as I plug the camera in (USB) I leave it to its thing.

With a tripod you should get a quick release. And of course a few sets of rechargeable batteries.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote