Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 4, 2005, 2:08 AM   #1

I just bought a S2, which was unfortunately the display model. (these thing sell out FAST). The lens now has some fool's fingerprint on. The manual says to use a soft cloth (dit not work) or some lens cleaner stuff. It also said not to use water.

Will it be bad if I use a damp soft cloth?
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2005, 5:57 AM   #2

First you need to make sure there is no dust on the lens, as whatever you wipe the lens with will possibly scratch the surface if dust is present. Remove dust with a 'blower' or use a soft brush, either os these are available from your camera stockist. Something like an artists sable brush would do too.

A finger print on the lens is not good if left for too long as the greasy deposits can affect the coating. Best to use a lens cleaning cloth with a drop of lens cleaning solution applied to the cloth, not the lens directly.

If you don't have a lens cleaning cloth and cleaning fluidthen you could try breathing on the lens and wiping that in a circular motion with a clean dry soft cotton cloth.Try not to press too hard as this could also affect the delicate coating on the lens. This is usually the way I do it if I don't have the proper cloth to hand.

Also, it is probably best to use the breath method anyway, after using a cleaning solution, as this will help to remove any residue of fluid.

But I would recommend you get a lens cleaning cloth and fluid as soon as you can.

Perhaps best not to use a damp cloth, you might be squeezing liquid, (water), that could run between the lens elements.

The important thing to remember is to try to keep the lens clean, but try not to clean it too often.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 6:23 AM   #3

Any lens cleaning cloths and liquids you would recomend? Approx how much should I pay for something like that?
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 11:04 AM   #4

A school of thought is to not scrimp on the quality of cleaning equipment. They are generally not expensive anyway and the best I can suggest is to go to your local camera store and take their advice. After all, they are not likely to be selling utter cr*p, nobody would go back to them for anything if they did.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote