Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 9, 2003, 1:19 PM   #1

Default Camera Choice

My wife and I are thinking about buying a digital camera. I am trying to do some research before making the purchse. Our needs would be to have an easy to use camera (mainly for vacation photos) that has the capability to be used "manually" if one of us starts to take this on as a hobby. We would likely be getting our pictures developed at Walmart. Pictures would range from stills to action from far away (NASCAR, etc). We would typically print 4x6 and sometimes 8-10. So far I have looked at:

Olympus C-5050 (5 mp w/3x)
Olympus 730UZ (3 mp w/10x)
Fuji S602 (3mp w/6x)
Nikon 5700 CP (5 mp w/6x)
Minolta Dimage 7i (5mp)

So far I am leaning towards the C-5050 but would like some feedback or if their are other alternatives. Also is there typically any price difference between getting digital pictures developed and the same number of film pictures

Thanks for the help.

Brett
btaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2003, 1:45 PM   #2

btaft,
I have a C-5050 and have used it about 3 weeks.Great Pictures and great features,but for distance you may want a different camera.I haven't tried a teleconverter on it yet,so I don't know how well it would work.The C730
might be better for you or one of the others you listed.Everyone has different needs.Maybe someone who has had hands on experence with the other cameras would know better than I.

Good Luck

Ray

D490Z,C-5050
EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2003, 3:08 PM   #3

The Olympus C5050 would be my first choice. I already have a Raynox Teleconvert that will work on this camera. Check the Raynox site www.raynox.com.

If you really want the long zoom then I would choose the Nikon 5700.

You have selected very quality cameras and any would proably satisfy your digicam needs.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2003, 5:41 PM   #4

I own the Nikon 5700. It has a 8X and not a 6X zoom. It takes great pictures on automatic mode. I prefer to use the aperture priority and manual mode which gives me more control. I have shot clear hand held photos on the longest zoom range outdoors on bright sunny days, otherwise you may have to use a tripod on cloudy days. Indoors at mid to full telefoto a tripod is needed. Low light indoors under auto mode is an issue. The camera has a hard time focusing. A manual focus ring would help also. Battery life is also an issue if you are using the flash alot. Otherwise the camera takes sharp natural photos. The learning curve is a little steeper than your normal point and shoot but it has all the prosumer options you will ever need. Because I have used a film SLR all my life, the camera was pretty easy to learn. A beginner could use the auto mode very easily as my 9 year old daughter has, but I think this camera would be better for someone with previous SLR or photographic experience. Hope this helps.
gverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2003, 8:43 PM   #5

I have an OLY5050, while I'm happy with the quality of the pics, i've noticed in a few pics that I have a few jaggies!

Anyone know how I can eliminate these?
mk1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2003, 9:47 PM   #6

mk1972,

Go to menu mode, to picture,scroll to bottom and keep going.This will show you 3 settings,sharpness,contrast,and saturation.All are adjustable.Start with sharpness at -1.Play with these until they are right for you.Mine are....
Sharpness -2
Contrast -1
Saturation 0

Hope this helps.

Look at this site,lots of good infohttp://www.wrotniak.net/photo/c5050/c5050-rev.html

Ray
Old Jan 9, 2003, 9:51 PM   #7

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/c5050/c5050-rev.html
Woops!
This is better.

Ray
Old Jan 9, 2003, 9:52 PM   #8

mk1972,

Go to menu mode, to picture,scroll to bottom and keep going.This will show you 3 settings,sharpness,contrast,and saturation.All are adjustable.Start with sharpness at -1.Play with these until they are right for you.Mine are....
Sharpness -2
Contrast -1
Saturation 0

Hope this helps.

Look at this site,lots of good http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/c5050/c5050-rev.html

Ray