Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 7, 2005, 9:03 PM   #1

Hi Folks,

First post. I just bought a Canon A510 for my wife and I want to upgrade the memory card. Is a high speed card worth the extra $ ? I'm concerned about the time it takesbetween shooting one image andbeing able to capture another image. From reading the manual, I understand the camera has a built in memory where images are stored before being transferred to the card and this feature allows one to keep on shooting with minimal response/cycle time. So will a high speed card have any effect on this?

Thanks!
superstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2005, 11:00 AM   #2

Several things effect the "cycle time" (as you call it) between shots.

The speed of the memory card is one reason, but the internals of the camera are another.

So up to a certain point, the card speed matters. But eventually there is a point where a faster card doesn't matter because it isn't the card that is holding it back (its the camera.)

In the past, I've generally said that for consumer grade (point & shoot) cameras, a card over about 16x or so isn't worth the money. I don't know if this still holds true, but I bet it does.

Obviously, a faster CF card won't speed up the storing of the image into the buffer, but it will speed up the process of transfering the image form the buffer to the CF card. But your camera can only write so fast and once you match the CF card speed with that speed using a fast card will have almost not effect.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 11:48 AM   #3

Thanks, Eric, that makes sense.
superstring is offline   Reply With Quote