Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 11, 2003, 1:16 PM   #1

Default Photo releases

Can someone advise me on the legalities of photo releases? Or point me to a web site with the information?

I would like to know exactly when a photo release is needed. I see some photo contests saying if there are people in the shot, I will need them to sign a release form.

There must be some point at which a release is not needed.. for example, if I take a pic of a crowd, there is obviously no way I can get each person in the photo to sign a release. Is there a minumum of people in the shot before a release is needed? Or perhaps if the complete face is not visible in the shot, do I need a release? If I take a pic of a political figure or other celebrity, do I need a release? If I use the pic for my own use, or personal web site (not business) do I need a release? Has anyone had experiece with using these release forms - does anyone ever refuse to sign? Are these releases binding only in one country - ie, if I take a pic in the US, can I use it in Canada without a release?

I think you get the general idea of what I am looking for.. when do I need one, and when do I not need one?

Also, are there standard release forms available somewhere, or do I need to make up my own?

Thanks!
Pilaar39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2003, 3:19 PM   #2

Here are some basics:

http://www.nyip.com/sub_idx_pgs/refe...l_release.html
JimHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2003, 7:35 PM   #3

Thanks for the link, Jim!
Pilaar39 is offline   Reply With Quote