Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 11, 2003, 1:43 PM   #1

Default SLR Digital cameras??????

Probably a dumb queston but what is the fundamental difference between a regular digital camera and a digital SLR camera? Does the dig. SLR camera use film as well as digital pics? Are the SLR cameras as durable and easy to use as the digital cameras. I presently own a Sony F-707 and love it but the more I get into photography the more I realize that a good portion of the best folks out there use the digital single lens reflex cameras. Please advise.
Thanks,
Scott
Scott the Fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2003, 7:53 PM   #2

SLR and DSLR cameras are cameras which has shutters way faster than consumer DCs. They can focus a lot faster then DCs too, so there won't be shutter delay. ALso whitebalance can be set by yourself. Also the lense is changable.

bunny~
Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2003, 2:34 AM   #3

Quote:
SLR and DSLR cameras are cameras which has shutters way faster than consumer DCs. They can focus a lot faster then DCs too, so there won't be shutter delay. ALso whitebalance can be set by yourself. Also the lense is changable.
Not exactly. SLR stands for Single Lens Reflex and DSLR would be Digital SLR. It refers to the fact that the main lens is used for viewing the subject via a mirror which swings out of the way when the shutter opens. They are not automatically "faster" than a viewfinder camera. They don't focus any faster, and they still have shutter delay. All but the cheapest (below $100) digital cameras have white balance that can be adjusted by the user, although the more expensive cameras generally make it easier by providing external buttons rather than using the menus. Lastly, the lens is not always changable just because it is on an SLR or DSLR. The Olympus DSLR's and many others do not have changable lenses.

My camera is an Olympus C700. It is technically an SLR although it uses an electronic viewfinder rather than a mirror. What I see in the viewfinder is exactly what I will get. The advantage is that my viewfinder also gives me all the camera information (such as shutter, aperture, battery condition, flash status, frames remaining and more) in the viewfinder rather than on an LCD display.
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2003, 4:30 AM   #4

Am I wrong then in assuming that DSLR's come with a full frame CCD, which means DOF is same as SLR with same lens? This seems to be the most important feature to think about. Also the larger ccd area makes pushing up the MPix count easier, but I guess size and weight could go up as well.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2003, 5:53 AM   #5
NHL

Not all dSLRs come with a full frame CCD which is why they have a multiplier factor. This also explains why one gains on long zoom, but pay through the nose for a wide angle (even for 28mm). Full-frame dSLR are dictated by their expensive larger sensor and usually cost more as well than a film body SLR mated to a small CCD, but that's the tradeoff for their price point. Nikon also has a new line of lenses that address this multiplier factor issue and meet the cost...

While the dSLR (even the Oly E10/20) are not automatically faster in AF, they usually are since they use phase detectors splitting lights off the prism to measure distance. This method give delta distances as well which a camera can predict unlike the contrast based AF which virtually all other digicams used (including all the EVFs). The contrast AF gathers their infos from the CCD instead and is also sensitive to how bright a scene is... and to movements.

A french site "Chasseur D'Images" has posted their testings results with some really sophisticated labs set-up to keep the AF tests consitent across all cameras:
http://www.photim.net/Acrobat/CI-250-Speed-Mouv.pdf

Check the minimum lux numbers for the EVF based SLRs...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2003, 10:28 PM   #6

Default Re: SLR Digital cameras??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott the Fireman
Probably a dumb queston but what is the fundamental difference between a regular digital camera and a digital SLR camera? Does the dig. SLR camera use film as well as digital pics? Are the SLR cameras as durable and easy to use as the digital cameras. I presently own a Sony F-707 and love it but the more I get into photography the more I realize that a good portion of the best folks out there use the digital single lens reflex cameras. Please advise.
Thanks,
Scott
Scott,

You may just be confusing things a bit

If you own a Sony F707, you own what many regard as a pretty d--n good digital camera. You'd use a DSLR if your livelyhood depended on it -- or you're swimming in dough

In the world of film, SLR meant that you could see the picture through the lens and thus what exactly you would be taking. The exposure metering and flash metering were TTL (thru the lens) also.

In the digital world, this difference does not apply anymore since the LCD on a compact digital camera pretty much shows you exactly (though not 100% coverage) what the lens is also seeing.

I'd say that currently the biggest difference between compact digitals vs. DLSR is the better noise reduction at higher ISOs in the DSLR. Plus, better optics, electronics, everything else, of course. But you just can't get good noise-free pictures at high ISOs in the compact digitals.
solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2003, 9:42 AM   #7

Default This is why I need it.

solo,
I shoot alot of pics in foriegn countries where the camera is almost regarded as dangerous as a gun. Many of the folks I shoot are in very remote villiages where they believe the camera "steals" their souls so a great deal of sensitivity is required. The only reason I want a SRL is to get a longer lens to provide that sensitivity. Thanks for all the imput
Scott the Fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2003, 11:04 PM   #8

If you want a long lens check the Olympus C730. 3MP with 10X zoom. I have had the C700 (2MP, 10X) for over a year and love it. Great lens, great camera, great price. You will need a steady hand, but that's true with any camera with a LOOOOONG lens.
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2003, 11:09 PM   #9

Default Re: This is why I need it.

Also, if you can wait until past February, the Panasonic DMC-FZ1 is coming out with 2mp and 12x optical zoom with image stabilization.
solo is offline   Reply With Quote