Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 15, 2005, 11:56 PM   #1

Hi! - I'm brand new to this Froum and to DigiCams, as well. I just got a Fuji E500 and have been getting the hang of the camera. But I'm DANGED if the software isn't stumping me. I loaded the program, and followed the instructions for transferring pics to my PC - BUT WHERE ARE THEY?

There are 4 icons on my desk-top: FinePix Viewer, Introduction (which is useless), Users Guide (which is the size of an encylopeadia) and VCD2.

I am trying to a) view my pics and b) be able to post them in forums like this one.

Can anyone help? Thanks.
Pentax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2005, 12:16 AM   #2

Click on FinePix Viewer and the pictures should show up.Are you down loading from camera or a flash card reader? Also what quality are you using? I.E. 12mps or 6mps.I use a reader to down load my pictures to the PC. Much faster. Plus I do not use Finepix Viewer. Save in folders I create.

Kev
KEV61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 2:04 AM   #3

Thanks for answering.... I am loading from the camera, via a cable to my USB port, as the manual tells me. But then it doesnt say much after that.

I was just trying it out, and D/L'ing about three or four pics.... the manual said the light by the view-finder would go orange/green while its transferring, which it did - but only for about three seconds. The LCD display indicated a transfer going on, so I left it for a good 20 minutes.

ALSO, the manual said I should see a message about "Okay to remove camera" or something, on my PC.... but I never did.

And no, they do NOT show up in Viewer.

I'm sorry, but the rest of your questions are past my level of knowledge. I still don't even know how to use folders very well - I am just an Internet-forum junkie.

Old Jul 16, 2005, 7:38 AM   #4

Your photos, if transfered automatically by the finepix viewer, will probably be in the windows folder named 'my photos', where ever windows keeps that.

Personally, I NEVER allow software to decide where to store things. Indtead I always create a folder that I name in a location of my choosing.

I also use a card reader instead of hooking up to the camera. Then I use windows explorer to copy and paste the photos from the reader to my location.

This is usually faster than trying to transfer directly from the camera, plus you can easily see the progress of the transfer.

USB 2.0 card readers can be had for a little as $10. Very good investment, if you ask me. If you attach directly to the camera, you run the risk of snagging the cable and damaging your camera in the process. Plus I question the durability of a lot of the ports on the cameras today.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 8:11 AM   #5

If you are running XP, after you hook up your USB cable, and turn the camera 'ON', you should get a popup window on your PC monitor, which offers you several choices as to what to do with the pictures on your camera...do you get a popup window? If not, you have a problem with your computer, not the Fuji software. If you get a popup window, one of the choices will be to use FinePixViewer...click on that icon, and you will be given a choice where you want the pictures saved...the default (unless you've changed something on your computer) will be Desk Top/My Documents/My Pictures. If you didn't get a popup window, I don't think you saved any pictures to your computer.

If you don't get a popup (wait several seconds after turining on your camera), doubleclick on the 'My Computer' icon on your desktop. How many 'drive' icons are there? You should see a 3 1/2 Floppy (A, a local disk (C, etc. There should be a new one for your camera, such as FinePix (G, or something like that. If there is, double click on it, and you should see a folder where your pictures are located - which will be on your xD card in the camera. If you don't see a new drive listed in My Computer, your computer is not recognizing the USB port that you are using...try another port if you have one.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 3:53 PM   #6

There seems to be a definate problem somewhere... I read up the Help menu on "manually" opening the transfer. In FinePix, I should hit File>Folder>and Save to PC - except with MY system "Save to PC" is greyed out (inoperable).

Hmmm.... Well, We are going out to our RV at the lake this afternoon, not back until Monday. Maybe some further reading will help.

Thanks for the suggestions.