Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 16, 2005, 1:54 PM   #1

I am new to digital photography. I do not understand why when I get the pictures printed some of the picture is cut off. When I put them up on my computer screen they look fine. They ar the way I want the picture to look. But when I go to have them made up the 4x6 prints lose a little from the top of the picture and a little from the bottom. When I have tried 5x7 I lose a little on all four sides. When I tried an 8x10 I lost some of the sides.

Why does this happen and is there anything I can do to avoid this. I have an Olympus C 770. I keep the setting at SHQ for better quality pictures. The resolution is set at 2288 x 1712 like it was set when I got the camera. Tis is a 4 megapixel camera.

If anyone can tell me what I am doing wrong or what I can do to avoid this from happening I would really appreciate it. I also do not want to lose the quality of the pictures.
ken212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2005, 4:00 PM   #2

You are not doing anything wrong, it has something to do with the size of digital vs. 4 X 6. But you may be in luck. Recently when I went to Snapfish to get some 4 X 6 prints made they asked if I wanted a new process where they reproduce the whole picture, just as you see it digitally. The picture is a little bit smaller than 4 X 6, it's 4 X 5 1/4", but it gets the whole thing. I don't know if others do it, butSnapfish did and the pics came outnon cropped and well processed,tho smaller. And no, I don't work for them, just a satisfied customer.
mes444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 4:13 PM   #3

The problem is, your camera is set up for a 4:3 aspect ratio. A 4x6" print is a 3:2 ratio. Therefore, when your prints are made, they have to be cropped to fit on the 4x6" photo paper. Fortunately, the C-770 is capable of capturing in either a 4:3 or a 3:2 aspect ratio. I don't know how to do that, since I don't own one. Consult your manual, and set your aspect ratio for 3:2, and the problem should go away.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 5:32 PM   #4

Update: See page 107 in your users manual - it explains the aspect ratio settings, On your camera, a 3:2 aspect ratio is not available in AUTO mode.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 8:01 PM   #5

This is a picture I had online from another discussion. It is a normal 4:3 ratio shot taken with a digital camera with a 4 X 6 (3:2 ratio) cropped from it. The gray on the outside of the dotted lines is what has to be chopped off to get a 4 X 6.

To keep everything in the shot it would have to be squashed down and distorted.

You can crop them yourself before sending them to be printed. That way you can decide to keep heads and lose some leg etc. This is a handy little free utility for doing that: http://ekot.dk/programmer/JPEGCrops/

I have read that some popular photofinishers are offering 4 ½ X 6 prints at the same price. You might ask where you get them printed. The 4 X 5 1/3 is an exact 4:3 if anyone offers that.

The problem with the odd sizes is that they often don't fit in photo albums.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 8:58 PM   #6

Slipe-

The same thing happened to my pictures. Since I am new to digital I thought I was doing something wrong. But from what you all wrote I guess it is not me. Thanks for all the iformation everyone.

Ken
ken212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 6:45 AM   #7
Administrator

slipe wrote:
Quote:
I have read that some popular photofinishers are offering 4 ½ X 6 prints at the same price. You might ask where you get them printed. The 4 X 5 1/3 is an exact 4:3 if anyone offers that.
You can get 4.5 x 6 inch prints at http://www.photoworks.com for 19 cents each.

When you get ready to order prints, if you click on "other sizes", you'll see a 5D size (which is 3.75 x 5) and a 6D size (which is 4.5 x 6).

I have not used these guys lately, but the quality used to be very good with http://www.photoaccess.com (they merged with another company and are now http://www.photoworks.com). I've used photoacess.com off and on for several years (inpart, because of the digital print sizes).

Before the merger, http://www.photoaccess.com offered a wider variety of "digital sizes" tailored to a 4:3 Aspect Ratio.

But, after the merger, it looks only 3.75 x 5and 4.5 x 6 are remaining.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote